This Romaine Salad is a quick and easy mix of Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, kalamata olives, Feta cheese and fresh basil all tossed in a simple lime vinaigrette. This is one of my favorite Romaine salad recipes because it’s a perfect green salad that you can serve with any meal!
I love a good fresh crispy green salad and I try to makes sure to eat at least one salad a day. This salad is perfect to serve during warm summer months with grilled chicken or fish. I hope you love this salad as much as my family does!
When I was growing up, my mom served pretty much every meal with a big green salad. This Romaine lettuce salad was a staple in our home then and it still is staple in my home today! I like to toss it with this simple Honey Lime Vinaigrette, but you could also toss it with my Cleansing Lemon Herb Vinaigrette, Homemade Ranch Dressing, Healthy Citrus Vinaigrette, Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette , Italian Salad Dressing or any of my other healthy salad dressing recipes.
Romaine Salad Recipe
Romaine is the star of this salad. It’s fresh and crispy with a neutral flavor.
Hydrating cucumber adds a nice crunch to this simple green salad.
I like to use Roma tomatoes for this salad (they’re less watery and have fewer seeds), but you can use heirloom, cherry tomatoes or any other juicy garden variety you choose.
My favorite olives are Kalamata and I like to use Mezzetta. These olives add a lot of flavor to a simple crispy salad!
A little salty cheese adds creaminess and flavor and goes so nicely with Kalamata olives!
I like red onion best in salads, but you could use green onions instead – or no onions at all.
Buttery avocado adds flavor and some good fat to the mix.
I love fresh basil in this salad, but you can add fresh mint, cilantro or parsley if you prefer.
How to Make Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Prepare vegetables. Rinse Romaine lettuce and spin to dry. Chop ingredients.
- Toss ingredients. Add Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion and Feta cheese to a large bowl and toss.
- Add dressing. Drizzle dressing along the outer edge of the salad and toss lightly. Pouring dressing right over greens can weigh them down a bit. I like to drizzle the dressing along the inside of the bowl and then gently toss the ingredients so their lightly coated.
- Serve. Divide salad evenly on salad plates and garnish each plate with avocado slices and a sprinkling of more Feta cheese
Romaine Lettuce Salad Serving Suggestions
This simple green salad comes together in a pinch and it goes with just about any dish you’d want to serve it with whether it’s an Italian, Mexican, French or holiday meal. I like to serve it with this One Pan Italian Chicken, Roast Turkey Breast, Grilled Turkey Burgers, and this Enchilada Style Baked Chicken. You can also toss in some poached chicken to make this salad a healthy low-cal meal. If you want a more substantially filling vegetarian salad, then toss in some canned chickpeas. You can also add chopped dates, raisins, croutons or sliced almonds. This is one of those easy customizable Romaine salad recipes that you can switch up to suit your personal preferences. To make this salad vegan, just omit the Feta and use pure maple syrup in the dressing instead of honey.
How to Store Romaine Lettuce
Although it’s best to eat produce within days of purchase, Romaine lettuce can be stored for up to 7-10 days. The outermost leaves have the most nutrients, so try not to discard them if possible.
- Unwashed leaves. Store in a plastic bag and refrigerate in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Washed leaves. Separate the leaves from the heart and rinse under cold water. Remove any dirt and debris. Pat dry with a paper towel or chop leaves and spin in a salad spinner to dry. Place in a plastic bag or sealed container and store in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Is Romaine Lettuce Healthy
Romaine lettuce with its sturdy leaves is low in calories (contains only about 8 calories per cup) and low in fiber, but rich with vitamin C, vitamin K, beta-carotene, and folate, calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Looking for more Romaine lettuce salad recipes to make?
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Italian Style Chef Salad
- Mexican Salad
- Everyday Tossed Salad
- My Favorite House Salad
- Chicken Avocado Chopped Salad
- Greek Chopped Salad
- BBQ Chicken Salad
Want more ideas? Check out all my healthy salad recipes.
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, cut in 6-8 pieces
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled, sliced and soaked
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and sliced
Honey Lime Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic grated or freshly minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare produce
- Add Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion and Feta cheese to a large bowl and toss.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss so ingredients are lightly tossed.
- Divide salad evenly on salad plates and garnish each plate with avocado slices and a sprinkling of more Feta cheese
Honey Lime Dressing
- Add ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid, and vigorously shake to blend well. Or add the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to blend well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.