Enchilada Style Baked Chicken
This crowd-pleasing Enchilada Style Baked Chicken is loaded with black beans, corn, tomatoes and a delicious enchilada sauce. It’s an easy Mexican chicken bake to make any night of the week.
ENCHILADA CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This Enchilada Style Baked Chicken is your basic enchilada chicken casserole just without the tortillas. It has all of the flavor and comfort of a enchilada chicken casserole with less carbs, less calories and without the gluten.
ENCHILADA CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE
This Mexican chicken breast recipe calls for just 9 ingredients.
- Chicken breasts
- Black Beans
- Enchilada Sauce
- Green Onion
- Black Olives
ENCHILADA CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE
This enchilada casserole recipe is an easy one to make! Prep time is about 5 minutes
- You’ll toss the chicken, black beans, corn and tomatoes in a baking dish big enough to hold 4 chicken breasts
- Then you’ll pour enchilada sauce over the ingredients
- Layer the top with cheese
- Then you’ll pop everything in the oven to cook for about 45 to 50 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro, green onion and black olives
This chicken enchilada bake recipe can be tweaked any number of ways to your liking:
- Use pinto beans or refried beans instead of black beans
- Add grilled sliced onions and green and red peppers for a fajita flavored casserole
- Add green chilies
- Add zucchini instead of corn
- Use ground chicken or turkey instead of chicken breasts
- Chop the chicken instead of baking the breasts whole
- Garnish with purple onions instead of green
- Garnish with chopped avocado
When this enchilada chicken casserole comes out of the oven you’ll have a wonderful healthy meal that has all of the flavors of chicken enchiladas, complete with tender juicy chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes and melted cheese. The only thing missing here are the tortillas. Yay! Less carbs! Less calories! Less hassle! I use my homemade enchilada sauce for this recipe, which comes together in about 10 minutes and has a really great flavor. But if you’re short on time, you can cheat and use your favorite canned enchilada sauce. Homemade is better (you can control the amount of sodium you’re getting), but if you’re really pressed for time, then go with canned. The only thing different that I do differently here with my enchilada sauce is I don’t strain it. I leave in the onion, garlic and jalapeño which adds to the flavor, texture and nutrition of this dish.
MORE EASY CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 4 Free-range skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1-1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Jack and cheddar cheese blend (Mexican style cheese blend), shredded
- Garnish with green onions, black olives and chopped cilantro
- For Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the chicken in a medium sized baking dish
- Sprinkle the corn, black beans and tomatoes evenly over the chicken
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the top
- Bake uncovered on the middle rack at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the chicken.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside
- Garnish with green onions and chopped cilantro
- Serve with rice or quinoa
For the Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Over medium high heat cook the onion, jalapeno and garlic for about 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and cooked evenly.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth.
- Blend well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the sauce has slightly thickened.