Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a family friendly meal to make any night of the week. Baked sweet potatoes are filled with a stew-like chicken fajita combo of ingredients and then they’re topped with guacamole and pico de gallo.
STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
These Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are filled with a perfectly seasoned stew-like fajita mixture of chicken, onion, garlic, red pepper, cilantro and tomato. They’re delicious, healthy and super quick and easy to make!
STUFFED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE (What you’ll need)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Red Pepper
- Canned Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
These Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes come together easily. While the potatoes are baking in the oven, you’ll simmer the chicken, onion, red pepper, garlic, cilantro and tomatoes until the combo is tender and juicy and deliciously fragrant. You could add seasoning from a packet, but I lightly season things here with cumin, oregano and coriander.
As for sweet potatoes, they’re a rich source of vitamin, minerals and antioxidants. They help to stabilize blood sugar, boost brain function, enhance immunity, promote healthy eyes and aid with weight loss (according to Dr. Axe). So they’re a healthier and gluten-free choice over flour tortillas for stuffing with fajita mixture.
MORE MEXICAN DINNER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 4 whole medium size sweet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, mostly drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Poke cleaned sweet potatoes with a fork or knife
- Heat olive oil in large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two
- Add the chicken breasts and cook over low heat 3 minutes on each side
- Add the canned tomatoes and the fresh cilantro
- Add the cumin, oregano, coriander
- Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is tender
- Turn the heat off and remove the chicken from the pan
- Shred the chicken and return to the pan and blend in with the other ingredients
- Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Garnish with guacamole and pico de gallo