Italian Salad Dressing
This Italian Salad Dressing rivals any Italian restaurant salad dressing out there. It’s an easy homemade Italian dressing recipe to have in your back pocket when you need to whip up a delicious dressing in a pinch. This is one of my favorite homemade salad dressings!
Homemade salad dressing recipes don’t come much easier than this. These Italian dressing ingredients are a simple mix of olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, fresh garlic, dried oregano and basil.
Once you make this easy Italian Salad Dressing, you won’t ever buy store-bought bottled dressing again.
Italian Dressing Recipe Ingredients
We use basic ingredients that you’ll likely have on hand for this Italian dressing recipe.
- White wine vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar)
- Dried oregano and basil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Cheese – add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese or Feta cheese (I typically add finely grated Parmesan when I make this dressing).
- Olives – add 1-1/2 tablespoons minced kalamata olives (If I have kalamata olives on hand, I definitely add them in. They give this dressing a delicious pop of flavor!).
- Red pepper – toss in 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Mayonnaise – whisk in 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise to make a creamy Italian dressing.
How to Make Italian Dressing
This homemade Italian dressing comes together in just about 5 minutes start-to-finish. But it’s best if the dressing is allowed to chill in the refrigerator for up to an hour before serving.
- Mix ingredients. Add the vinegar, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, kalamata olives , Parmesan cheese, and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients. In a slow stream, whisk in the olive oil. Better yet, add everything to a mason jar, seal the lid and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate. This Italian dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. When refrigerated, the olive oil in the dressing may solidify a bit. Just remove the dressing from the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before using so you can whisk it or shake it to blend again.
- Simple green house salads – toss this homemade Italian dressing on a simple bowl of greens like this Everyday Tossed Salad.
- Pasta salads – this is the best Italian dressing for pasta salads, like this Italian Pasta Salad.
- Quinoa salads – Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Bean salads – it’s also the best Italian dressing to toss this Mediterranean Bean Salad with.
- Italian salad – this is the Italian dressing that I use when making my popular Italian Chopped Salad (which is the best Italian salad out there!)
- Marinade – this is the best Italian dressing to marinade vegetables with to toss on the grill during warm summer months.
- Bread dipping – use balsamic vinegar instead of white wine vinegar and use this dressing to dip warm crusty bread in. (SO good!)
- Sandwiches – drizzle 2-3 teaspoons of this Italian dressing over the tomato and lettuce on your next sandwich.
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes You’ll Love
- Avocado Citrus Vinaigrette
- Healthy Citrus Vinaigrette
- Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Cleansing Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1-1/2 cups good extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, dried oregano and basil and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate the oregano and basil.
- Add the olive oil in a slow thin stream, whisking constantly to combine. Or just add all of the ingredients to a glass mason jar, seal the lid tight and shake to combine.
- Cheese - add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese or Feta cheese
- Olives - add 1-1/2 tablespoons minced kalamata olives
- Red pepper - toss in 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mayonnaise - whisk in 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise to make a creamy Italian dressing
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.