Easy Chickpea Stew
This Easy Chickpea Stew comes together in about 30 minutes and has an intoxicating combination of flavors.
This Easy Chickpea Stew is full of tender vegetables and chickpeas, and seasoned with the warming flavors of ginger, garlic and a wee bit of jalapeno.
I’ve added cauliflower, carrots and red pepper to this stew, but you could get creative and add whatever veggies you have on hand (sweet potatoes, broccoli, Swiss chard, kale or spinach). I sauteed the vegetables in my Dutch oven then added the liquids (coconut milk and vegetable broth) and let it simmer on my stovetop for about 20 minutes. I love quick Dutch oven recipes like this one, but you could easily toss all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and walk away. As for the added jalapeno in this stew – I’m a wimp when it comest to heat, so I only add a little (about 1/2 a teaspoon), but if you like things a little spicer, then by all means add more jalapeno to your liking.
Chickpeas are rich in fiber, and according to the Whole Foods website, chickpeas are also beneficial for helping to better regulate blood sugar. Apparently as little as 3/4 cup of chickpeas a day may help lower our LDL-cholesterol (the bad kind) and triglycerides in just a one month period of time. So chickpeas are good source for overall heart health.
This is one of my favorite one pot chickpea recipes to make. It’s rich and flavorful, and pretty straightforward with ingredients that you’ll likely have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smokey paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- In a medium size Dutch oven (or other pot), heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and red pepper and cook over medium high heat, stirring for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the carrots and red potato and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and tomato paste and stir to blend into the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a simmer.
- Cove pot and simmer over low heat for about 12 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.