Easy Chickpea Stew
Easy Chickpea Stew recipe is a vegetable stew recipe that comes together in about 30 minutes and has an intoxicating combination of flavors. This vegan chickpea stew is one of my favorite chickpea dinner recipes and it’s also one those easy one pot meals you can pull together any night of the week.
This vegetable stew is full of tender vegetables and chickpeas, and seasoned with the warming flavors of ginger, garlic and a wee bit of jalapeno. And, whether you’re vegan or not, you’ll love the combo of flavors in this vegan stew.
Having a nourishing homemade stew recipe is good to have in your back pocket. It’s a comforting dish (like chili or chicken soup) that’s quick and easy to make and one that your whole family will love. When I make this vegetable stew recipe, I saute the vegetables in my Dutch oven then added the liquids (coconut milk and vegetable broth) and let it simmer on my stovetop for about 20 minutes. I love easy one pot meals like this one, but you could easily toss all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and walk away.
Chickpea Stew Recipe
This vegetable stew recipe is a versatile one. I used carrots, red potatoes and cauliflower here, but feel free to use whatever vegetables you need to use up in your refrigerator. As for the added jalapeno in this stew – I’m a wimp when it comest to heat, so I only add a little (about 1/2 a teaspoon), but if you like things a little spicer, then by all means add more jalapeno to your liking. This is one of my favorite one pot meals to make, because it’s rich and flavorful, and pretty straightforward to make with ingredients that you’ll likely have on hand. This chickpea stew recipe just might become one of your favorite chickpea dinner recipes to make! Here’s the list of stew ingredients…
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Red pepper
- Red potatoes
- Smokey paprika
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable broth
- Canned coconut milk (full fat)
I’ve added cauliflower, carrots and red pepper to this vegan stew, but you could get creative and add whatever veggies you have on hand.
- Sweet potatoes
- Swiss chard
- Yellow squash
How to Make Chickpea Stew
This Easy Chickpea Stew is one of those easy one pot meals that comes together in about 30 minutes start-to-finish.
- Prep stew ingredients. Rinse, peel and chop vegetables.
- Saute vegetables. In a medium size Dutch oven (or other pot), heat the olive oil. Add the onions and red pepper and cook over medium high heat, stirring for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the carrots and red potato and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning. Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and tomato paste and stir to blend into the vegetables.
- Add chickpeas and broth. Add the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer. Cover pot and simmer over low heat for about 12 – 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut milk. Stir in coconut milk and bring back to a simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Enjoy. Garnish with cilantro.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
- Rich source of vitamins and minerals
- High in protein, making them a great alternative to meat for vegetarians and vegans alike
- They contain almost all of essential amino acids (just missing – methionine), so they’re not quite a complete protein, but when you serve them with whole grains it can make a complete set of amino acids
- Promotes cardiovascular health (due to the magnesium and potassium properties found in chickpeas) (1)
- May help prevent high blood pressure and reduce triglycerides and LDL cholesterol levels (the bad kind) (2) (3)
- They have a low glycemic index
- Rich source of soluble fiber
More Chickpea Dinner Recipes
- Easy Chickpea Patties
- Spinach and Chickpeas
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Egg Salad
- Chickpea Soup
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smokey paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- In a medium size Dutch oven (or other pot), heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and red pepper and cook over medium high heat, stirring for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the carrots and red potato and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and tomato paste and stir to blend into the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a simmer.
- Cove pot and simmer over low heat for about 12 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.
I've added cauliflower, carrots and red pepper to this vegan stew, but you could get creative and add whatever veggies you have on hand.
- Sweet potatoes
- Swiss chard
- Yellow squash
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 14gSugar: 15gProtein: 15g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.