Chickpea Noodle Soup
This Chickpea Soup (also referred to as “Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup”) is cozy, comforting and delicious. It’s easy to make using everyday ingredients that you’ll likely have on hand. This soup is both delicious and nutritious and comes together in about 20-25 minutes.
Vegetarian chicken noodle soup is easy to make and it has all the comforts of a classic chicken noodle soup, only its meatless. It’s a perfect nourishing soup to make when the weather turns chilly or when you’re feeling a tad under the weather.
CHICKPEA SOUP RECIPE
This is the short list of ingredients that you’ll need to make this richly flavored chickpea soup.
- Low-sodium vegetable broth
- Italian herbs, bay leaves and fresh thyme
- Canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1-inch piece parmesan cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA SOUP
Saute – saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a bit of extra virgin olive oil. I often chop up a tablespoon or two of the celery leaves to add to soups because it adds a lot of flavor.
Season – add the Italian herbs, fresh thyme sprig and bay leaves.
Simmer – pour in the vegetable broth and add the parmesan cheese wedge. Simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender. If you want to make this chickpea noodle soup vegan, just omit the parmesan cheese.
Cook Noodles – while the soup is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles until just al dente.
Add Chickpeas – add the chickpeas to the soup.
Serve – add noodles to each bowl before serving and ladle soup into each bowl over noodles.
Garnish – garnish with extra chopped parsley and grated or shaved parmesan cheese.
I use low-sodium vegetable broth when making this soup, then add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. The added parmesan cheese to this soup while it simmers gives this soup a delicious rich flavor. I love the classic chicken noodle soup-like flavors in this soup. I also love that it’s one of those easy soups you can pull together without much thought using pantry staples. If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, no worries, this soup will still be tasty.
MORE VEGETARIAN SOUP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Italian Lentil Soup
- Turmeric Cauliflower Chowder
- Coconut Curry Soup with Chickpeas
- Creamy Cauliflower White Bean Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Summer Squash Soup
This Chickpea Soup is cozy, comforting and delicious. It's easy to make using everyday ingredients that you'll likely have on hand. This soup is both delicious and nutritious!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1-inch piece of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- cooked noodles (I used gluten-free brown rice noodles for this soup)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and saute for 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute more.
- Add broth, Italian herb, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and parmesan cheese to the pot with the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boils and cook the noodles al dente according to the directions on package. Drain and toss noodles in a teaspoon of olive oil to prevent clumping.
- Remove soup from heat, discard thyme sprig and bay leaves and add the chickpeas and parsley.
- Add noodles to bowls and ladle soup over the noodles. garnish with more parsley.