Italian Lentil Soup
The recipe for this rich and hearty Italian Lentil Soup requires very little time, start to finish, and it takes advantage of lentils luscious state of tenderness. This vegetarian lentil soup is made with lentils, onion, celery, carrots, red potatoes and classic Italian seasoning.
HEALTHY LENTIL SOUP
This healthy lentil soup is hands-down the best lentil soup that I’ve ever had. The simplicity of this lentil soup requires no garnish, but I personally love to garnish it with croutes, fresh parsley, sautéed mushrooms and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
There’s a little Italian restaurant called Garduno’s in Costa Mesa that my family has gone to for years. They make a really wonderful Italian Lentil Soup. This Italian Lentil Soup is my riff on their lentil soup. They add mushrooms to their soup, but I prefer to sauté them and add them on top as a garnish with homemade cheese croutés. My family loves this healthy lentil soup, and I make it often. This is an easy Italian lentil soup recipe that’s quick and inexpensive to make. I typically have all of the ingredients on hand so I can make it on a whim.
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
This vegetarian lentil soup recipe uses dried lentils, fresh organic produce and classic Italian seasoning.
- Chicken broth
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Brown lentils
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Red potatoes
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SOUP
This easy lentil soup recipe comes together in about 45 minutes.
- Sauté the onions, celery, carrots and garlic
- Pour in wine (if using)
- Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, potatoes and lentils to pot
- Sprinkle in seasoning
- Cover the pot and simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender
Follow THE HARVEST KITCHEN on Pinterest for more great recipes!
HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES
- Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Lentil Soup
- Hearty Lentil Stew
- Easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Vegetarian Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Summer Squash Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine or sherry
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (rinsed and stones and debris discarded)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2-3 small red potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add the onions, celery and carrots and sauté for approximately 7 minutes until tender and the onions are golden in color.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the wine and let simmer for just a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and tomatoes, potatoes and lentils.
- Add the parsley, basil, oregano, dill, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover the pot and simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cheese croutés and sautéed mushrooms.
- An extra drizzle of olive oil is nice to add as well.