Vegan Lentil Soup
Vegan Lentil Soup is a rich and hearty curry lentil soup recipe that you can make any night of the week. This Indian lentil soup recipe is seasoned with curry, cumin, ginger and garlic and has a delicious exotic combination of flavors.
This curry lentil soup has to be one of the easiest soups to make. It’s one of those soups that I make often, even during warm summer months. I can make a meal of it! It’s a perfect vegan soup that leaves me feeling full and satisfied.
This curry lentil soup is incredibly filling and perfectly seasoned with curry powder, cumin, garlic and fresh ginger. I go light on the curry here. So if you need something that’ll knocks your socks off a bit, then by all means add a second tablespoon of curry to the mix. Garnish this curry lentil soup with chopped cilantro and serve it with lemon or lime wedges.
Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
This Indian lentil soup is made with humble ingredients and makes the coziest bowl of soup.
- Dried Lentils – We use green or brown lentils when making this soup because these lentils tend to hold their shape well.
- Aromatics – We use a delicious combination of celery (with some of the leaves), carrot, onion, garlic and fresh ginger for this soup.
- Coconut oil – We use coconut oil to cook the aromatic with but you can extra-virgin olive oil if you prefer. The coconut oil also adds a hit of flavor.
- Seasoning – A little Madras curry powder and ground cumin give this soup a delicious exotic flavor.
- Broth – We use vegetable broth for this soup, but if you’re not vegan or vegetarian, you can use chicken broth instead.
- Herbs – We garnish this delicious soup with chopped cilantro
Find printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Curried Lentil Soup
This Vegan Lentil Soup recipe comes together in about 40 minutes start-to-finish.
- Saute Vegetables. In a large Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat Add onion, carrot and celery and saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft, stir frequently.
- Add Aromatics. Stir in garlic and ginger and sauté for another 1 to 2 more minutes. Sprinkle in curry powder and cumin and sauté for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add Lentils. Pour in lentils and broth . Bring to a boil over high heat, cover with lid, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Add more broth or a little water as needed if soup becomes too thick.
- Simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Serve. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Benefits of Lentils
In a nutshell, lentils have a lot of nutritional value to offer. They’re high in protein, low in fat, and they’re a good source of iron, fiber, folic acid and magnesium. Lentils are also rich with polyphenols, which are compounds found in plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, dark chocolate, wine and tea, and they act like antioxidants neutralizing free radicals and help to reduce inflammation which is linked to chronic disease. And compared to other legumes, lentils come in second to soybeans in protein. When you consume lentils with whole grains, such as brown rice, lentils can provide the same quality of protein as meat. Just 1/2 cup of cooked lentils provides about 12 grams of protein. (1) (2)
Looking for more recipes for lentil soup to make?
If you like this Indian lentil soup recipe, be sure to check out all my lentil soup recipes.
Looking for More Vegan Soup Recipes to Make?
- Black Bean Soup
- Coconut Curry Broccoli Soup
- Curried Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- French Potage
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower White Bean Soup
- Vegan Mulligatawny
- Coconut Curry Soup with Chickpeas
Still want more ideas? Check out all my healthy soup recipes.
- 1-1/2 cup green or brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat
- Add onion, carrot and celery and saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft, stir frequently.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and sauté for another 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add curry powder and cumin and sauté for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Pour in lentils and broth
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover with lid, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer.
- Add more broth or a little water as needed if soup becomes too thick.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.