This Immune Boosting Vegetable Soup is loaded with cruciferous vegetables that are gently simmered in a light and lemony broth.
This homemade Vegetable Soup is loaded with chunky pieces of vegetables all gently simmered in a light and lemony broth.
One of my favorite things to make is soup. And this vegan vegetable soup recipe has become one of my favorites to make. I’ll typically have all of the ingredients on hand. I like to keep this immune boosting vegetable soup on the chunky side so I feel like I’m eating something substantial and filling. More of a meal rather than a soup. But if you prefer, feel free to chop things up a bit smaller for a less chunky soup. You could also puree this soup to sip on when you’re feeling run down or under the weather. I like to serve this immune boosting soup with vegan pesto and wedges of lemons for the extra immune boosting and detoxifying benefits.
VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
- Green Cabbage
- Dinosaur Kale (Baby kale works well too)
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Add green beans, peas, corn kernels
- Sprinkle in a teaspoon of turmeric
- Spice things up by adding dried Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence
- Add cannellini beans
- Simmer soup with a 1-inch piece of parmesan cheese
- Add homemade bouillon (recipe link below)
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SOUP
- Chop your ingredients
- Cook the onion, celery, carrot and garlic
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, green cabbage, kale and broth
- Cook for 15-20 minutes on low heat with
- Make vegan pesto by adding fresh parsley, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil to blender
- Add 4-5 heaping tablespoons of vegan pesto to soup
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serve with remaining vegan pesto and lemon wedges
WHAT ARE CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES?
Cruciferous vegetables are part of the mustard family and they provide potent nutritional benefits that are far superior to the standard garden variety vegetable. Cruciferous vegetables are high in fiber and tend to be filling, which makes this a perfect Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe for Weight Loss.
- Bok Choy
- Brussels Sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Mustard Greens Watercress
- Mustard Greens
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES
- Provides Cancer-Fighting Benefits
- Promotes Cardiovascular Health
- May lower LDL cholesterol levels (the bad kind)
- Helps to Reduce Inflammation
- May Balance Hormone Levels
- Treats H. pylori infection, a bacteria that can lead to stomach ulcers
- Promotes Weight Loss
- Improves Blood Sugar Levels
HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES
- Immune Boosting Chicken Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Vegetarian Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Soupe au Pistou
- Vegetable Boullion
- Coconut Curry Broccoli Soup
- Curried Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- White Bean Soup with Kale
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup dinosaur kale, chopped (stem removed and discarded)
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- For the Vegan Pesto
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 fistful parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- zest of 1/4 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat.
Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Add broccoli, cauliflower and bay leaves.
Cook another 1-2 minutes.
Pour in broth over vegetables. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer.
Place lid on Dutch oven or pot.
Cook for 12-15 minutes
Add 4-5 heaping tablespoons Vegan Pesto and the cabbage and kale to the soup
Simmer another 5 minutes
Ladle into soup bowls and serve with extra Vegan Pesto and lemon wedges
For the Vegan Pesto
Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor
Blend to chop the ingredients up
Slowly add the olive oil and blend until well blended
Add more olive oil or lemon juice as needed
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper