Mediterranean Chicken SaladYum
I love larger than life salads like this Mediterranean Chicken Salad, where the ingredients have reached sort of a 50/50 proposition…fifty percent greens and fifty percent good stuff. This salad is my riff on Pita Jungle’s Mediterranean Chicken Salad and it’s one of my favorite salads. I know…I know. I say that about each of my salads. I guess it’s sort of like having children….or dogs… so I suppose I don’t really have a “favorite” salad. I love them all equally … One of the ingredients in Pita Jungle’s Mediterranean Chicken Salad is tabbouleh. I didn’t add tabbouleh here – because then the list of ingredients and steps of instructions for making this salad would become a little long and then you’d probably never want to make it. So I add a little quinoa and chopped parsley and call it a day. Pita Jungle’s Mediterranean Chicken Salad has corn kernels tossed in the bunch.. But when I think of corn – I think Mexican food, so I went with garbanzo beans instead. It seemed like the right thing to do. This little ensemble consists mostly of conservative earthy flavors but the golden raisins give it a touch of sunny sweetness which will have you digging around in search for more.
I love everything about this gorgeous nutritious salad!!
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound boneless free-range chicken breast, grilled and chopped
- 6 cups mixed dark leafy greens (including baby kale)
- 2 whole large Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, sliced (1 small red bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (1 small cucumber)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (you can use fresh lime juice if you prefer)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground kosher salt
- Grill the boneless chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink on the inside and the juices run clear.
- Season with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Place all of the ingredients in a mason jar and screw the lid on tight
- Shake well until the ingredients are well incorporated
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the chopped chicken
- Drizzle just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the ingredients
- Toss well