Mediterranean Celery Salad recipe is a mix of chopped organic celery stalks, tomatoes, red onion and lots of fresh herbs all tossed in a delicious kalamata dressing. It’s one of those quick and easy salads you can enjoy as a light lunch or serve as a side salad.
This crunchy celery salad recipe is quick and easy to make and it’s a perfect side salad to serve with grilled chicken or fish.
Celery is a common vegetable served with peanut butter and vegetable dips, and it’s a popular low-calorie diet food, containing about 10 calories per celery stalk. We tend to think of celery as a great add-in vegetable mixing it with onions and carrots to make a mirepoix to add to soups, and adding it to bread stuffing, potato salad, egg salad and more. So our inclination isn’t really to think of making a salad where the star of the show is celery. But this celery salad recipe is delicious and crunchy and it’s loaded with Mediterranean flavors.
I personally love celery and I add it to many, if not most, of my soups. I also love celery juice and all the benefits it has to offer. Celery is loaded with enough health benefits making it worthy of adding to your daily wellness plan.
Mediterranean Celery Salad Recie
This celery salad recipe is a basic one, but the dressing we toss it with has delicious layers of flavor that really makes this salad anything but ordinary. Again this salad is great on its own or it can be served it as a side salad.
- Organic celery stalks
- Cherry tomatoes
- Herbs (fresh parsley, basil, mint)
- Red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- Celery leaves, chopped
- Kalamata olives
- Feta cheese
Mediterranean Salad Dressing
This Mediterranean dressing has an amazing combination of flavors. Just toss the ingredients in a mason jar, seal the lid and shake well. It’s best when refrigerated before serving and it’ll keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice and zest
- Dijon mustard
- Dried oregano
- Kalamata olives
- Feta cheese
How to Make Celery Salad
- Make dressing. Add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid tightly, shake well to blend.
- Prepare vegetables. Rinse and chop organic celery and herbs (including celery leaves), peel and chop onions, and slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Dress ingredients. Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over the ingredients and toss. Add additional kalamata olives and feta cheese if you like (I usually do). Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Depending on what else I may have on hand – I like to add cooked quinoa and/or chickpeas to this salad, or I might add in some canned tuna or roast chicken if I want something a little more substantial.
- Toss with 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Add 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Crumble in canned tuna
- Add chopped grilled, roasted or boiled chicken
Is Celery Good For You
- Anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation has been linked to many illnesses, including arthritis and osteoporosis. Celery and celery seeds have approximately 25 anti-inflammatory compounds that can offer protection against inflammation in the body.
- Antioxidants. Celery contains an antioxidant called luteolin which may have shown potential for preventing and treating certain types of cancer. (1)
- Digestion. Celery is almost 95 percent water and also provides both soluble and insoluble fiber which help support the digestive tract. Certain compounds called polysacccharides and apiuman in celery have been shown to improve the lining of the stomach and decrease instances of stomach ulcers.
- Akalyzing. Celery is rich with magnesium, iron and sodium that may help to neutralize stomach acids and helps to balance the body’s pH levels.
- Fiber. Celery is mostly made up of water (about 95% water) and it also provides both soluble and fiber. One stick of celery provides about 0.1 gram of fiber.
How Many Carbs in Celery
Like cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, celery is one of the best low carb vegetables you can eat. Just one-cup of chopped celery contains about 3 grams of carbs and two of these grams are fiber.
Celery salad makes a perfect side salad to burgers, soup and grilled chicken and fish.
- Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
- Easy Chickpea Patties
- Italian Lentil Soup
- Nourishing Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup
- Immune Boosting Broccoli Soup
- Seared Salmon
Looking for More Healthy Salad Recipes to Make?
In case you’re looking for ways to incorporate more celery into your diet, all of these recipes have celery listed as an ingredient.
- Crunchy Detox Salad
- Spinach Berry Antioxidant Salad
- Strawberry Salad
- Easy Broccoli Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
Want more salad ideas? Check out all my healthy salad recipes.
Mediterranean Celery Salad
Mediterranean Celery Salad is a simple mix of chopped organic celery stalks, tomatoes, red onion and lots of fresh herbs all tossed in a delicious kalamata dressing. It's one of those quick and easy salads you can enjoy as a light lunch or serve it as a side salad with grilled chicken or fish.
- 8 cups organic celery (about 8 large celery stalks), peeled, sliced thin on a diagonal
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons celery leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- Kalamata olives (extra for garnish)
- Feta cheese (extra for garnish)
Mediterranean Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated on small hole grater
- Rinse vegetables under cold water and pat dry or put in a salad spinner to dry.
- Slice celery stalks and chop herbs (including some celery leaves), peel and slice onions and slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over the ingredients and toss. Add additional kalamata olives and feta cheese if you like (I usually do).
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
For the Mediterranean Salad Dressing
- Add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid tightly, shake well to blend.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 564mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 6g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.