This Oatmeal Smoothie is made with gluten-free whole grain oats, vegan milk, frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, and pure vanilla extract. It’s rich with vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and fiber.
You’ll love that this strawberry banana oatmeal smoothie is gluten-free, vegan and naturally sweetened. It’s a rally great smoothie to add to your daily wellness plan!
OATMEAL SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This is the short list of healthy smoothie ingredients you’ll need to make this smoothie. I make it often, so I always keep a stash of frozen berries and frozen bananas in the freezer.
- Vegan milk (I use an almond coconut milk blend by Califia found in the refrigerated section at markets)
- Rolled oats (don’t use instant)
- Frozen strawberries
- Frozen bananas
- Pure vanilla extract
- Maple syrup (optional – but I usually add pure maple syrup to mine)
Instead of strawberries, feel free to use blueberries, raspberries, a mix of berries, mango, peaches, orange, etc.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY OATMEAL SMOOTHIE
This strawberry banana oatmeal smoothie is super easy to make and it comes together in about 5 minutes start-to-finish, making it a great healthy breakfast to make when you’re pressed for time.
- Blend oats so it resembles oat flour. (If you have a high powered blender, you don’t need to do this step first, just add the oats in with the other ingredients and blend)
- Add the frozen strawberries and bananas, vegan milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup to the blender and blend.
- You can add 2-3 ice cubes or a little more almond milk/coconut milk or water to smoothie if it’s too thick. (I prefer to add 2-3 ice cubes)
- Pour in glass and serve with a straw. Or if you like your smoothie thick, then pour in a bowl, garnish with berries, nuts, seeds and eat with a spoon.
IS OATMEAL A GRAIN
Yes. Oats are a whole grain known as Avena sativa.
IS OATMEAL GOOD FOR YOU
- Oats are one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat.
- They’re rich with vitamins (B1 thiamin, B5 pantothenic acid and folate), antioxidants (avenanthramides), minerals (magnesium, zinc, iron, and maganese), and fiber known as beta-glucan that may help with weight loss, lowering blood sugar levels and a reducing risk of heart disease.
- The antioxidant avenanthramides found in oats may increase production of nitric oxide which helps dilate blood vessels, improving blood flow and may help to lower blood pressure.
- One-half cup dry oats contain 303 calories, 13 grams protein, 8 grams fiber, 51 grams of carbs. (1)
DOES OATMEAL HAVE PROTEIN
Yes! Oats contain more protein than other cereals like wheat, barley and rye. The amino acid make-up of oats is also superior to wheat, barley and rye, containing more of the essential amino acids lysine and trytophan. (2)
IS OATMEAL HIGH IN FIBER
You may wonder – does oatmeal have fiber? Yes!! Oats are an excellent source of fiber, especially beta-glucan, which is known for it’s cholesterol lowering, blood sugar regulating and weight management benefits. (3) (4) (5)
OATMEAL FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Oatmeal is delicious and it’s filling. Consuming foods that that enhance satiety will help us with appetite control so we’ll be likely to consume fewer calories which may help with weight loss and an improvement in the overall nutritional quality of our diets. (6) (7)
HEALTHY OATMEAL RECIPES
- Berry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Heart Healthy Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Jelly Overnight Oats
- Quinoa and Oatmeal Cereal
- Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Hot Oatmeal Cereal
MORE BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE RECIPES
- 1 cup vegan milk (almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, etc)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 15 frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup frozen banana slices (about 1 small banana)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- Blend oats so it closely resembles oat flour. (If you have a high-powered blender, this step is not necessary - just blend oats with other ingredients).
- Add the frozen strawberries and bananas, vanilla extract and maple syrup to the blender with the blended oats and blend.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes, or 3-4 tablespoons vegan milk or water to reach desired consistency.
- Pour in glass and serve with a straw.
Substitute the strawberries for blueberries, raspberries, mango, peaches, orange, etc.