Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie
You’re going to love this richly flavored Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie (aka oat milk smoothie)! This healthy breakfast smoothie is nutritious, delicious and it’s a great way to start your day!
I love everything about this healthy breakfast smoothie!! It’s made with frozen cherries, frozen banana, organic oats, oat milk, unsweetened cocoa, pure maple syrup and pure vanilla extract, and it’s rich with potassium, fiber, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Oat Smoothie Recipe
Here’s all you’ll need to make this healthy breakfast smoothie. I make it frequently, so I like to keep a stash of frozen cherries and frozen bananas on hand.
- Oat Milk. I like to use oat milk for this smoothie with its mild flavor rather than a nut milk.
- Rolled Oats. Use old fashioned rolled oats rather than quick-cooking or steel-cut (I like to use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats)
- Frozen Cherries –I use frozen cherries rather than fresh, because they come already pitted.
- Frozen Bananas – Tossing frozen bananas in smoothies make them a little richer and creamier and gives them an almost dessert-like quality.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Adding a splash of pure vanilla extract to smoothies makes them taste extra delicious!
- Maple Syrup – Adding a dollop of pure maple syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness
- Cocoa Powder – Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder so you don’t add in any refined sugar to your smoothie. You can also swap out the cocoa powder and use cacao powder instead, which is a little higher in antioxidants.
Find printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie
This Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie is a super easy oat milk smoothie to pull together. Oat milk replaces dairy making this a healthy vegan smoothie. Pure maple syrup and banana adds a little sweetness, and a splash of pure vanilla extract makes this Chocolate Cherry Oat Smoothie taste like dessert.
- Blend Oats – Blend oats so it resembles oat flour. (If you have a high powered blender, you don’t need to do this step first, just add the oats in with the other ingredients and blend)
- Add Ingredients – Add the frozen cherries and bananas, oat milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup to the blender and blend. If you use frozen banana, it gives this smoothie a creamy dessert like quality.
- Variations – You can add 2-3 ice cubes or a little more vegan milk or water to your smoothie if the consistency is too thick for you. (I prefer to add 2-3 ice cubes)
- Serve – Pour in glass and serve with a straw. Or if you like your smoothie thick, then pour in a bowl, garnish with berries, nuts, seeds and enjoy with a spoon.
Is Cocoa Good For You?
Cocoa is one of the richest sources of polyphenols and flavanols which have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s always best to purchase non-alkalized cocoa powder and dark chocolate containing more than 70% cocoa to maximize nutritional benefits.
Are Cherries Good For You?
Cherries are small stone fruits that are rich with antioxidants, vitamin C, anti-inflammatory properties, potassium and fiber.
Are Oats Good For You?
Oats are one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. They’re rich with vitamins (B1 thiamin, B5 pantothenic acid and folate), antioxidants (avenanthramides), minerals (magnesium, zinc, iron, and maganese), and fiber known as beta-glucan. They contain more protein than other cereals like wheat, barley and rye. The amino acid make-up of oats is also superior to wheat, barley and rye, containing more of the essential amino acids lysine and trytophan.
Is Oat Milk Good For You?
Looking for more healthy breakfast smoothie recipes to make?
- Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- Pitaya Bowl
- Acai Bowls
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberry Cacao Nib Smoothie
- Cocoa Banana Smoothie
- 1 banana, sliced (frozen is best)
- 2 cups frozen cherries (pitted)
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2-1/2 cups oat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Blend oats to resemble oat flour. If you have a high powered blender, you don’t need to do this step first, just add the oats in with the other ingredients to the blender.
- Add the frozen cherries and banana slices, oat milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup to the blender and blend.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes or a little more oat milk or water to your smoothie if the consistency is too thick for you. (I prefer to add 2-3 ice cubes)
- Pour in glass and serve with a straw. Or if you like your smoothie thick, then pour in a bowl, garnish with berries, nuts, seeds and enjoy with a spoon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 8gSugar: 53gProtein: 7g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations. See full disclaimer on About page.