Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink
Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink with Turmeric is a great detox cleanse drink and immune boosting tea that’s rich with vitamin c, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties that help gently cleanse and alkalize the body.
This detox cleanse drink is a great way to start your day! It’s made with fresh lemons, fresh ginger, turmeric and a pinch of pepper (either black or cayenne).
Making detox cleanse drinks at home is a healthy habit to form as part of a Daily Detox Diet. Detox drinks are typically made with water, fruit, vegetables and herbs which helps to stimulate the body’s natural detoxifying process to eliminate toxins and waste from our systems. The ingredients in this Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits which also helps to alkalize our bodies.
Best Detox Drink
This detox cleanse drink is a great immune boosting tea that’s made with just 6 ingredients.
- Lemons. Lemons are rich with vitamin C , flavonoids, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. (1)
- Fresh ginger root. Ginger is rich with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It relieves congestion, improves blood circulation, aids with digestion and helps stimulate the natural detox process. (2)
- Turmeric. You can use either grated fresh turmeric or powdered. Turmeric is rich with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It aids digestion, improves circulation, and like ginger, it helps to stimulate the natural detox process. (3)
- Black pepper or cayenne pepper. Black pepper also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. When combined with turmeric, black pepper (or cayenne pepper) may enhance the absorption of curcumin (key compound in turmeric) by up to 2000%. (4)
- Water. Use purified or mountain spring water.
- Honey (optional). Honey is rich with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. The properties found in honey may help lower LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and triglycerides, while raising HDL cholesterol (the good kind). These properties may also help lower blood pressure. (5) (6)
How to Make Detox Cleanse Drink
When I make this Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink for myself, I’ll pour any leftovers in mason jars to stash in the refrigerator. Then I’ll either reheat it later or drink it chilled throughout the day.
- Slice the lemons and ginger
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot
- Turn the heat off and add the lemon, ginger, turmeric and pepper
- Let steep for 30 minutes
- Strain and drink at room temperature or reheat (but don’t bring to a boil)
- Serve with a teaspoon or two of good quality honey.
Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
Lemons are rich with vitamin C, which helps prevent buildup of plaque and the progression of atherosclerosis and heart disease. The citric acid, bioflavonoids, vitamin C, calcium, pectin and limonene found in lemons are powerful nutrients which give a boost to the immune system, helping to ward off infections and disease. Lemons are considered one of the most alkalizing foods you can eat. Lemons have a high concentration of negatively charged ions which may increase oxygen flow to the brain. Drinking lemon water may help to improve digestion. The citric acid found in lemon juice helps to boost the production of digestive fluids in the stomach that helps our body to break down and digest food.
- Boosts immune system
- Rich with vitamin C and flavonoids
- Rich with potassium
- Balance body pH
- Aids digestion
- Natural diuretic
- Filters toxins from body
Benefits of Ginger
Chronic inflammation is a leading culprit that lies behind a number of diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and cancer. Ginger contains powerful properties, calledgingerols, shoals, gingerdiones, which are rich with antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help to ward off these diseases. Ginger is also rich with phytochemicals that help aid digestion and settling upset stomachs. These digestive properties help to stimulate the body’s natural cleansing and detoxifying process by eliminating waste and toxins. These properties may also thin blood, improve blood circulation and prevent blood from clotting.
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
- Rich with antioxidants
- Stimulates natural detox process
- Improves blood circulation
- Aids with digestion
- May help relieve nasal congestion
Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color (that’s why this olive oil salad dressing has a vibrant yellow color). Here’s a few of the benefits of consuming turmeric.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory benefits (7) (8)
- Rich with antioxidants that neutralizes free radicals
- It increases activity of our body’s antioxidant enzymes
- Increases level of a brain hormone known as BDNF, which may increase the production of new neurons and combats degenerative disease in the brain
- Powerful anti-inflammatory that is more effective to some with rheumatoid arthritis than anti-inflammatory drugs
- May help combat depression
Looking for More Detox Cleanse Drinks to Make?
- Celery Juice Recipes
- Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
- Immune Boosting Ginger Tea
- Ginger Shot
- Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
- Beet Ginger Detox Juice
- Fruit Infused Turmeric Tea
- Fruit Infused Water
- Iced Green Tea with Apple, Lemon and Ginger
Still want more ideas? Check out all my detox drink recipes.
Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink
Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink with Turmeric is a great detox cleanse drink and immune boosting tea that's rich with vitamin c, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties that help gently cleanse and alkalize the body.
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 organic lemon cut into slices (I like the taste of Meyer lemons best)
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- pinch of black pepper or cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Turm the heat off and add the lemon, ginger, turmeric and pepper.
- Let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain and drink at room temperature or reheat (but don't bring to a boil).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Gorgeous photos and blog! I drink lemon water each morning but these additions sound like good ones! Love the story of your friend.
Hi Lori – thank you for the kind words!!
Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! It’s been really helping me so I’ve shared it in my blog post this week – http://www.liveconsciouslyconnected.com/breathe-easy/
Hi Laura! I so glad it’s helping and I hope you’re feeling better! Thanks for sharing it on your site!
Can you make a batch of this to keep in the fridge for the week? Or is it better to make fresh daily?
I’ve never kept it in the fridge for a week (so not sure how fresh it’ll taste). I usually drink a batch in a day or two.