Cold Fighting Citrus Ice Cubes
These Cold-Fighting Citrus Ice Cubes are a great way to get extra Vitamin C during cold and flu season. Great for fruit water or add them to a cup of tea!
Keep your immune system at its peak during cold and flu season by adding these Cold Fighting Citrus Ice Cubes to a tall glass of water, iced tea or cup of hot tea. These fruit flavored ice cubes are loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants and make a delicious detox drink.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ORANGES
Consuming citrus regularly gives a good boost to your immune system. Citrus is a rich source of vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties that help to protect cells from bacteria and viruses. It also contains Beta-carotene, Lycopene and Flavanones.
Here are just a few benefits of oranges:
- Beta-carotene is a potent antioxidant and is converted to vitamin A in our bodies. It plays a role in eye health and may help to lower the risk of macular degeneration, heart disease and stroke.
- Lycopene is a carotenoid, which is responsible for giving many fruits and vegetables their vibrant color. It’s abundant in tomatoes, watermelons, papayas and pink grapefruit.
- Flavanones have anti-inflammatory properties and may help to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
GRAPEFRUIT AND MEDICATION
As you may be aware, consuming grapefruit may lead to certain medication interactions because grapefruit contains substances that inhibit certain enzymes in your body to metabolize certain meds. Which means your body may not be able to break down these meds causing adverse effects. Immunosuppressants, calcium channel blockers and statins are the most common meds that may be affected by consuming grapefruit. If you should avoid grapefruit, then just switch it out of this recipe and go with pure orange juice (do a blend of navel and blood orange) or you can add some lemon or lime juice instead.
FLAVORED ICE CUBES
If you like these Cold Fighting Citrus Ice Cubes you’ll like these other flavored ice cubes to help you stay hydrated all day long.
- Immune Boosting Whole Lemon Ice Cubes
- Immune Boosting Flavored Ice Cubes
- Summer Peach Ice Cubes
- Hydrating Lemon Cucumber Ice Cubes
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 ice cube tray
- Evenly distribute the juice in the ice cube tray and freeze for 8 hours or until frozen solid.
- For layered cubes, evenly distribute the orange juice in the ice cube tray and freeze. Then pour the grapefruit over the frozen orange juice and place back in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Add to hot tea with honey, tall glasses of water or green smoothies.