Summer Berry Salad
This delicious Summer Berry Salad recipe is a quick and easy berry fruit salad to pull together for your next backyard barbecue, potluck, brunch or just for dining al fresco on a hot summer night.
The berries for this Summer Berry Salad are tossed in a simple syrup made with honey, lemon and lemon zest. As the berries macerate in the syrup, they soften and release their sweet juices enhancing their flavor.
This berry fruit salad is popular to serve as a side at potlucks and barbecues, but it’s also wonderful served with frozen yogurt or ice cream as a dessert, and it’s always a hit for brunch served with granola and yogurt. You can use an assortment of berries for this salad, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. I’ve kept it simple here using just strawberries and blackberries.
Berry Salad Recipe
- Berries. Choose fresh, ripe, and preferably organic berries.
- Fresh fruit salad dressing. This simple fruit salad dressing is made with lemon juice and zest, pure clover honey and chopped fresh basil leaves.
Find printable recipe with measurements below.
- Swap out the basil ins the dressing and use mint
- Use lime in the dressing instead of lemon
- Add blueberries and raspberries
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream
- Serve with frozen vanilla yogurt
- Add chopped nuts like pistachios or almonds
How To Make Berry Salad
- Rinse berries. Rinse berries under cold water, then lay them out on paper towels and gently pat them dry. Cut strawberries in half so they are similar in size to the other berries you’re using.
- Make dressing. Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey and chopped basil leaves.
- Toss salad. Add the berries to a serving bowl and drizzle with dressing. Gently toss.
- Refrigerate. After tossing the berry fruit salad with the dressing, refrigerate for up to 30 minutes before serving, so the flavors have a chance to blend. Add chopped basil leaves and toss again just before serving.
How To Make Fruit Salad Dressing
- Finely chop fresh basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice, lemon zest until well blended.
- Toss in freshly chopped basil leaves just before serving (so they don’t turn brown).
Looking For More Summer Fruit Salads To Make?
- Fruit Cups
- Packable Fresh Fruit Salad
- Immune Boosting Arugula Berry Salad
- Spinach Berry Antioxidant Salad
- Summer Melon Salad
- Mexican Gazpacho Fruit Salad
For the Fruit Salad Dressing 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil finely sliced in ribbons
- For the Berry Salad
- 6 cups hulled fresh strawberries, cut in half (or quarters if large strawberries)
- 2 cups fresh black berries
- Fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons for garnish
For the Fruit Salad Dressing
- Add the honey, lemon juice and zest to a small bowl.
- Whisk until the honey is well blended.
For the Berry Salad
- Gently toss rinsed and dried berries in a large bowl.
- Pour the fruit salad dressing over the berries and gently toss.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Gently toss in the basil ribbons just before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.