Summer Berry Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing
This delicious Summer Berry Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing and basil is an easy fruit salad to pull together for your next backyard barbecue, potluck or just for dining al fresco on a hot summer night.
This Summer Berry Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing is a fun salad to make during the warm summer months. The berries are tossed in a simple syrup of honey, lemon and lemon zest. As the berries macerate in the syrup, they soften and release their sweet juices enhancing their flavor. These berries make a great berry fruit salad to take to potlucks. But they’re also great served with frozen yogurt or ice cream!
BERRY SALAD RECIPE (What you’ll need)
BERRY SALAD RECIPE (Variations)
- Swap out the basil and use mint
- Use lime instead of lemon
- Add blueberries
- Add a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream
- Serve with frozen vanilla yogurt
- Add chopped nuts like pistachios
BENEFITS OF BERRIES
- Berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries) are all powerhouse superfoods containing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Antioxidants help protect our bodies from oxidative stress and chronic inflammation, both of which can contribute to a number of diseases (Alzheimer’s, diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer to name a few).
- Antioxidants are also beneficial in that they help slow down the aging process and support the cardio system.
- Blackberries are also a rich source of manganese. Manganese is important for proper brain function (helping our synapses to fire properly).
- Strawberries are probably the most reached for berries by most people (just guessing). Strawberries contain powerful flavonoid antioxidants called anthocyanin and catechin which may help to decrease our risk for chronic diseases (including cardiovascular diseases).
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties found in strawberries also promote eye health and neurological health.
This berry fruit salad is popular to serve as a side at potlucks and barbecues. It’s also wonderful served with frozen yogurt or ice cream as a dessert. For breakfast these berries are great with granola and yogurt or serve them with your pancakes and waffles. MORE HEALTHY SALADS YOU’LL LOVE
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil finely sliced in ribbons
- 6 cups hulled fresh strawberries, cut in half (or quarters if large strawberries)
- 2 cups fresh black berries
- Fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons for garnish
For the Lemon Basil Dressing
- Add the honey, lemon juice and zest to a small bowl.
- Whisk until the honey is well blended.
For the Salad
- Gently toss the berries in a large bowl.
- Pour the Lemon Basil Dressing over the berries and gently toss.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Toss in the basil ribbons just before serving.