Mexican Style Avocado Egg SaladYum
This Mexican Style Avocado Egg Salad is a little like guacamole meets egg salad minus the mayo. It’s made with avocado, celery, purple onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice. Super simple and super delicious!
This Mexican Style Avocado Egg Salad uses mashed avocado in lieu of mayo. You can use this egg salad without mayo for sandwiches, as a dip with crackers or tortilla chips or devour it straight up by the spoonfuls.
This healthy egg salad has a little jalapeño in it just for the added flavor. Not to make you sweat. But, if you like things a little sassier – then feel free to add a little more to the mix.
I love avocados and eat a lot of them. I buy 3 – 4 a week to toss in my soups and salads. I also eat them straight from the skins with nothing more than a little freshly cracked pepper and a spoon. I really love mashed avocado on toast (although I don’t do much bread these days). In fact I bought this loaf of bread to stage this egg salad in a sandwich. If I were to eat a sandwich….this is how I’d make it. Lots of arugula, since it’s peppery in flavor and pairs nicely with the flavors going on in the salad. And the sprinkling of sunflower seeds is a must. The tiny flecks of crunch just add to a healthy sandwich. Maybe some sprouts would be good too!
The great thing about avocados, besides their incredible flavor and buttery texture, is they offer a wide range of important nutritional benefits, such as potassium (which helps control blood pressure) and lutein (which promotes good eye health). They’re also a good source of the B vitamins (except B-12), vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, fiber and phytonutrients.
As for eggs, they’re a good source of protein. They’re are also rich in Vitamin B2, B6 and B12. Vitamin B2 is important for red blood cell production and fighting free radicals. Vitamin B6 helps the body turn food into energy and to help fight infections. And Vitamin B12 helps regulate the nervous system and plays a role in red blood cell formation.
This is a great tasting skinny egg salad recipe that comes together in a pinch. Serve it with some fruit for a healthy warm weather lunch or snack.
Mexican Style Avocado Egg Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 6 large hard boiled eggs , diced
- 1/4 cup purple onion, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and mashed (leaving a few chunks)
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of 1 large lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the eggs, purple onion and celery. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mash the avocado leaving some chunks. Add the jalapeño, lemon juice, and onion and garlic powders. (The lemon juice is to keep the avocado from browning).
- Add the avocado mix to the egg mix and blend well.
- Add the lime juice and blend some more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.