Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad
This Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad is creamy and crunchy and loaded with veggies.
This healthy egg salad recipe is loaded with veggies for the added flavor, crunch and nutritional benefits. Serve this classic egg salad on a bed of greens, tomato slices or on a single slice of bread for an open-face sandwich.
LOW FAT EGG SALAD
There are so many renditions of egg salad out there. Simple and creamy, loaded with mayo and mustard and dill pickle relish, and then there’s the fancied up version with avocado. I love them all!! But this low fat egg salad is the one that I tend to make most often. It’s low in fat and it’s loaded with veggies for the extra crunch and nutritional perks. I either serve it up on a bed of greens or I’ll eat with some gluten-free crackers.
A good egg salad starts with …. good eggs. Fresh eggs. I prefer brown hen eggs. The free-range happy kind. I think they have a more mellow and appetizing flavor. Once you get in the habit of eating free-range brown hen eggs, regular factory caged white eggs are almost impossible to consume. There is definitely a difference in flavor.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS
- Place your eggs in a large pot and fill with cool water covering them by an inch or so
- Bring the water to a boil over medium heat
- Boil eggs for 2-3 minutes then turn off heat and cover the pot with a lid
- Let the eggs continue to cook in the hot water for about 7-10 minutes
- Drain the eggs and refill the pot with cold water and let the eggs sit in the cool bath for another 2-3 minutes or so
- I find that eggs peel easier when peeled under running cool water
HOW LONG TO BOIL AN EGG FOR HARD BOILED EGGS
- Boil for 2-3 minutes
- Then turn off heat, cover pot with lid and let eggs continue to cook in hot water for another 8-9 minutes
- Total cook time should be between 10-12 minutes or 12-14 minutes if you want a firmer yolk
HEALTHY EGG SALAD RECIPE
- Hardboiled free-range brown hen eggs
- Red bell pepper
- Flat leaf parsley
- Green onions
For the Dressing
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Mustard (either yellow or Dijon)
- Fresh dill (mores for garnish)
- Onion powder
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
- Boil eggs
- Set eggs aside to cool
- Peel eggs and cut in half to remove the yolks
- Chop the whites
- In a large bowl, mash the yolks with the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, mustard, dill and onion powder
- Fold in the celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, carrots, parsley and green onion
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or make an egg salad sandwich
And yes…there are green onions listed in this recipe that didn’t make it for the photo shoot. The green onions add a lot of flavor to this healthy egg salad, so unless you dislike onions immensely, I recommend adding them to the salad.
If you like this recipe, you might also like this Mexican Style Egg Salad
- 8 large hardboiled free-range brown hen eggs (5 whole eggs and 3 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons carrot, shredded and minced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard (either yellow or Dijon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill (mores for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- sea salt or pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, roughly mash the eggs with the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, dill and onion powder.
- Fold in the celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, carrots, parsley and green onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or on a slice of bread.