Simple Spinach Leek & Onion Frittata
This Simple Spinach Leek & Onion Frittata is formal enough to serve for a brunch gathering, but also casual enough to serve for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
This Simple Spinach Leek & Onion Frittata transforms the most humble of ingredients into a delicious and hearty breakfast, brunch or a quick weeknight dinner.
SIMPLE SPINACH LEEK & ONION FRITTATA
Frittata’s are like an Italian style open-faced omelet or a French style crustless quiche. They’re typically cooked slowly on the stovetop then finished in the oven. The eggs turn out light and fluffy every time.
Follow THE HARVEST KITCHEN on Pinterest for more great recipes!
For this recipe – I sprinkle crispy hash browns on the bottom of a non-stick cookie sheet, then pour the egg mixture (with onion, leek and spinach) over the top and then pop it in the oven for about 7-10 minutes. Just long enough for the eggs to cook through.
OTHER FRITTATA ADD-INS TO TRY
- Fresh thyme and parsley
- Broccoli and cheddar
- Asparagus instead of spinach
- Arugula or kale instead of spinach
- Sweet potato hash browns
OTHER RECIPES YOU’L LOVE
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cooked hash browns
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 large leek, trimmed, rinsed well and sliced thin
- 8-10 free range brown eggs
- 3 tablespoons cream or whole milk
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine eggs, cream and cheese in a medium bowl. Blend with a whisk or fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium low heat.
- Cook hash browns until they're golden and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean.
- Add the butter and 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan. Reduce heat to low and cook slowly, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown and are lightly caramelized.
- Add the leek and cook until tender and lightly browned for about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped spinach leaves in the pan.
- Add egg mixture; stir gently to distribute spinach, onion and leek evenly.
- Cover skillet and cook until eggs are partially set, about 5-6 minutes.
- Uncover skillet, and bake for another 3-5 minutes or just until the center is set and the eggs are cooked through. Be careful not to overcook your frittata.
- Remove from oven and loosen the frittata from the skillet.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
If using a cookie sheet
- Follow steps 1 - 7 then sprinkle the hash browns to the bottom of a cookie sheet.
- Distribute the onion and leek mixture over the hash browns.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped spinach.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the spinach.
- Place the cookie sheet in oven and cook for 5-7 minutes or just until the center is set and the eggs are cooked through.
For the Pan Roasted Tomatoes
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil to a pan.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for over medium-low heat for about 1-2 minutes or until they begin to soften.