Lemon Chicken Piccata
This Lemon Chicken Piccata recipe is a delicious Italian dish made with pan-seared chicken simmered in a delicious lemon butter sauce. It’s an easy chicken piccata recipe that comes together in a pinch so you can make it any night of the week!
You can make restaurant quality chicken piccata at home with just a few simple ingredients. If you love all things lemon like I do, then you’re going to love this dish!
Like a creature of habit, I often order chicken piccata when dining at Italian restaurants. It’s one of my all-time favorite meals! I especially love a good generous serving of the sauce so I can soak my noodles or warm crusty bread in it!
Lemon Chicken Piccata Recipe
This easy lemon Chicken Piccata recipe comes together in about 40 minutes start-to-finish and rivals any Italian restaurant version out there! Here’s what you’ll need:
Boneless (and skinless) chicken breasts or chicken breast cutlets.
We dredge the chicken breasts in flour before cooking, which helps it brown nicely and thickens the lemon butter sauce.
The chicken is cooked with a little olive oil and butter to the sauce at the end which gives the sauce an incredibly rich lemon buttery flavor.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this dish its signature flavor.
There are chicken piccata dishes served out there that have white wine added to the sauce. I prefer to keep the flavors simple here by using chicken broth so the lemon butter flavors can really shine through.
I always rinse my capers under water to rinse off the brine, which in my opinion – can add a little too much flavor to my sauce. I like a hint of capers, but I don’t want anything getting in the way of my lemon butter flavor in the sauce.
A little sprinkling of freshly chopped parsley adds a pop of color and fresh flavor to this dish.
How to Make Chicken Piccata
- Cook Chicken. Season chicken with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Dip in flour and shake off excess. Heat olive oil and butter in pan and add chicken. Cook both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Make Lemon Sauce. Add lemon juice, chicken broth and capers to the pan and bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve. Remove chicken from pan and distribute to plates. Swirl more butter in pan and pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Lemon Chicken Piccata
Chicken piccata is often served with pasta, but you can also serve it with rice, mashed potatoes or vegetables. I personally like to serve it with these Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, some Roasted Vegetables or Wilted Lemon Garlic Spinach.
Want more easy chicken dinner recipes to make?
- One Pan Italian Chicken
- Chicken Shawarma
- Chicken Continental
- Enchilada Style Baked Chicken
- Easy Chicken Fajita Bake
Still want more ideas? Check out all my healthy dinner recipes.
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless and butterflied and cut in half
- 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ground pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Dip chicken in flour so it's lightly coated, shaking off any excess flour
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter together with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place 2 pieces of chicken in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add 2 more tablespoons butter with remaining olive oil to skillet. Add the remaining 2 pieces of chicken to skillet and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Pour lemon juice and stock in pan. Add capers and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken back to the pan and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and place on individual plates.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet and whisk.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1002Total Fat: 80gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 48gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 655mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 43g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.