This Vegetarian Mulligatawny is rich and heart, earthy and comforting, This is a quick and easy coconut curry soup recipe to make, and it’s so worth making!
This Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup is a good, hearty, stick-to-your-ribs soup that has an amazing combo of flavors (hello coconut curry).
Mulligatawny is an Indian inspired soup that’s typically made with chicken and rice and chopped pieces of apple. At first, the apple notion caused a little pause and head-scratching on my part. But for this recipe, I went with grated apples instead of chopped. The grated pieces of apple blend-in better with all of the other ingredients, and they provide a subtle kiss of sweetness. In lieu of the chicken and rice, I went with lentils, chickpeas and quinoa. This soup makes a perfect main dish with its rich depth of flavor simmering in one cozy pot.
If you like this Vegetarian Mulligatawny recipe, you might be interested in these others as well.
Coconut Curry Soup with Chickpeas (my riff on Pita Jungle’s soup – and popular on Pinterest)
Lentil Coconut Curry Soup (also popular on Pinterest)
Chilled Coconut Curried Carrot Soup (perfect for summer months)
I hope your family loves this vegetarian soup recipe as much as my family does!
Yield: 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (you can use coconut oil)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced (or chopped)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup brown lentils, uncooked
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 14-5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 red apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 14.5 ounce can coconut milk (full fat)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot
- Saute onions, garlic, celery and carrot for 5 to 7 minutes
- Add curry powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper, stir to blend
- Add lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes and broth
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes
- Add apple, quinoa, cilantro and coconut milk
- Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes