Caldo de PolloYum
Caldo de Pollo is a cross between a soup and stew. You can make it with beef but then it would be called Caldo de Res. Here, I’ve made it with chicken…. hence Caldo de Pollo. I love love love dishes like this. These one pot wonders are so quick and easy to make…..and this one in particular is so rich and flavorful. Something really delicious happens when all of these ingredients simmer in a pot together!
I’ve added rice to the bowl of this soup….er stew….but if you’re not a rice lover like I am – then by all means leave it out. If you’d like to add rice to your Caldo de Pollo….and I highly recommend that you do….but you don’t have a good Spanish rice recipe…you’re in luck… here’s mine…
I hope you enjoy this Caldo de Pollo!
~ xo Deb
Caldo de Pollo
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, cut in half then into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3-4 red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut in slices
- 1/4 head green cabbage, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven (Le Creuset) over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook on each side for about 3 minutes each or until each side has browned.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and corn and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cabbage and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add a few heaping spoonfuls of Spanish rice to each bowl then ladle the soup into the bowls.