Mexican Chicken Posole
Mexican Chicken Posole (also referred to as chicken pozole recipe) is a richly flavored soup made with chicken, hominy, garlic and onion all simmered in a broth with authentic Mexican flavors.
This chicken pozole is full of traditional flavors. It’s chock full of tender chicken and hominy simmered in a red chili sauce, then garnished with slivers of cabbage, sliced radishes, sprigs of cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime. Your entire family will love this pozole soup.
Chicken Pozole Recipe
This easy posole recipe has a short list of ingredients.
- Canned hominy
- Chicken thighs
- Chili powder
- Chicken broth
- Cabbage, radishes, cilantro and lime for garnish
How to Make Posole
This chicken posole recipe comes together in about 45 minutes.
- Cook chicken thigh: Lightly brown the chicken in a pan
- Saute onion and garlic: Add onion and garlic
- Add spices, hominy, chicken and chicken broth to pot
- Simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on the pot
- Garnish with coarsely chopped cilantro, shredded green cabbage, chopped green onions, sliced radishes, chopped roasted jalapeno chilies, lime wedges
One of my favorite things about this chicken pozole is all of the fresh vegetables that are added to each bowl of soup that you serve. You’ll garnish this posole soup generously with shredded cabbage, radish slices, sprigs of cilantro, chopped onion chilies, and avocado. My family prefers this posole soup over tortilla soup, and we’re big fans of chicken tortilla soup.
Why We Love This Chicken Pozole
This chicken pozole recipe has a lot going for it!
- It has a really great combo of flavors
- It’s garnished with an assortment of beautiful fresh vegetables
- Healthy ingredients
- Pure comfort food
- Super easy to make
Looking for More Mexican Soup Recipes to Make?
Still want more ideas? Check out all my healthy soup recipes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can of hominy rinsed and drained
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 cups chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the chicken and cook on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
- Add the hominy and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the chicken to the pot.
- Simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on the pot.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.Garnish with coarsely chopped cilantro, shredded green cabbage, chopped green onions, sliced radishes, chopped roasted jalapeno chilies, lime wedges. Serve with warm corn tortillas.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 285mgSodium: 2763mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 62g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.