Mexican Chicken Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup with Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto is a healthy Mexican chicken soup recipe that is nutritious, delicious and super easy to make. This healthy chicken vegetable soup is crowded with fresh carrots, celery and green cabbage and it’s lightly seasoned with classic Mexican flavors.
If you love a good vegetable soup, then you’re going to really love this Mexican vegetable soup! It’s loaded with flavor and good for you ingredients and it’s quick and easy to make! The Cilantro Pesto that I serve this soup with is spiked with a little jalapeno, giving this soup an incredible pop of flavor!
Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
This Mexican chicken soup recipe has a short list of healthy ingredients.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Green Onions
- Green cabbage
- Seasoning (cumin and oregano)
- Canned tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Chicken breast
Find printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Vegetable Soup
This healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe comes together in about 45 minutes (15 minutes prep time and 40 minutes cook time)
- Cook chicken
- Saute carrots, celery, green onion and garlic
- Add seasoning
- Pour in tomatoes and chicken broth
- Add chopped chicken and cabbage
- Stir in lime juice
- Serve with Cilantro Pesto, tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, avocado and lime wedges
Cilantro Pesto Recipe
I only add a wee bit of jalapeno to this cilantro pesto, so if you’re one who likes more heat, then just adjust this cilantro pesto recipe to add as much jalapeno as you like.
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
How to Make Cilantro Pesto
- Combine cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and cheese in food processor or blender and process
- While motor is running, add olive oil in slow, thin stream
- Process until the pesto reaches desired consistency.
- To keep pesto from turning brown on top, place a tablespoon of olive oil on the top and seal lid tightly.
This healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe is loaded with high-in-fiber vegetables that leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
Looking For More Mexican Soup Recipes to Make?
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Taco Soup
- Mexican Chicken Posole
- Mexican Chicken Rice Soup
- Mexican Lentil Soup
Want more ideas? Check out all my healthy soup recipes.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 - 5 green onions, finely sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 14½-ounce can low-sodium chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- For the Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add the chicken to a stock pot. Cover with just enough water to cover the chicken and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool. After it has cooled, cut the chicken and discard the skin and bones.
- In a large Dutch, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add green onions, carrots and celery and saute for 3-5 minutes
- Add the garlic, oregano and cumin and saute for another minute or two.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the chopped chicken, and cabbage and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until cabbage is just softened.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve bowls of soup and serve with Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto, tortilla strips, chopped cilantro, diced avocado and lime wedges.
For the Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto
- Combine the cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and cheese in a food processor or blender and process.
- While the motor is running, and the olive oil in a slow, thin stream. Continue to process until the pesto until you reach your desired consistency.
- To keep the pesto from turning brown on top...place a tablespoon of olive oil on the top of the pesto then seal tightly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 491mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 57g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.