Caldo de Pollo
This Caldo de Pollo recipe is a big chunky Mexican chicken soup crowded with fresh corn on the cobb, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, onion and garlic all simmered in a richly flavored broth.
This easy one pot Mexican chicken soup is rich and flavorful and loaded with healthy ingredients.
What is Caldo de Pollo
It’s a big pot of Mexican soup crowded with ingredients so it’s really more like a stew.
Caldo de Pollo Recipe
Lots of fresh organic produce make it to the list of caldo de pollo ingredients!
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Boneless chicken breast or thighs
- Onion, cut in half then into quarters
- Garlic, minced
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf
- Dried oregano
- Red potatoes
- Corn on the cob
- Green cabbage
How to Make Caldo de Pollo
- Brown chicken: Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven (Le Creuset) over medium high heat and cook the chicken on each side.
- Stir in onion and garlic: Add the onion and garlic and cook for another few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth and seasoning: Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano and bay leaf.
- Simmer: Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and corn: Add the potatoes, carrots and corn and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cabbage: Add zucchini and cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish: Garnish each bowl with chopped green onion, cilantro sprigs, avocado slices, jalapenos and lime wedges.
- Spanish rice
- Spanish quinoa
- Warm flour tortillas
More Mexican Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Chicken Rice Soup
- Mexican Lentil Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Chicken Posole
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Taco Soup
Caldo de Pollo
Caldo de Pollo is a Mexican chicken soup that's crowded with fresh corn, zucchini, carrots, cabbage all simmered in a richlly flavored broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 onion, cut in half then into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3-4 red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut in slices
- 1/4 head green cabbage, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven (Le Creuset) over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook on each side for about 3 minutes each or until each side has browned.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and corn and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add a few heaping spoonfuls of Spanish rice to each bowl then ladle the soup into the bowls.
- Serve with chopped green onion, cilantro sprigs, lime wedges and warm tortillas.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 810Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 282mgSodium: 1408mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 11gSugar: 13gProtein: 67g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.