Vegan Tortilla Soup
This Vegan Tortilla Soup is a delicious vegan soup crowded with fresh vegetables, lots of onion and garlic, canned pinto beans and authentic Mexican seasoning all simmered in a richly flavored broth. It’s one of those easy Mexican soup recipes you can pull together any night of the week.
This is an easy tortilla soup recipe loaded with fresh organic vegetables and authentic Mexican flavors that rivals any restaurant tortilla soup out there.
My family loves a good tortilla soup….one with lots of flavor…but not too spicy. Yet spicy enough so you’re aware that it has its own distinct sassy identity. This Mexican tortilla soup has a variety of wholesome ingredients that makes it a satisfying vegan soup that you’ll want to make time and time again!
Tortilla Soup Ingredients
This healthy tortilla soup is crowded with fresh vegetables simmered in a rich broth with authentic Mexican flavors.
- Canned pinto beans
- Yellow or sweet onion
- Dried oregano
- Ancho chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Bay leaves
- Chopped tomatoes
- Yellow squash
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges for serving
- Tortilla strips for serving
How to Make Tortilla Soup
This is one of my favorite Mexican soup recipes. It’s rich and flavorful and super easy to make. It comes together in about 30 minutes start-to-finish. We use canned pinto beans for this recipe, but feel free to swap them out and use another bean, such as black, kidney or even lentils if you prefer.
- Saute. Cook onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft.
- Seasoning. Stir in ancho chili powder, oregano, cumin.
- Broth. Pour in vegetable broth.
- Tomatoes, Squash, Zucchini and Cilantro. Add the tomatoes, chicken, yellow squash, zucchini and cilantro.
- Add beans. Stir in drained and rinsed canned pinto beans.
- Enjoy. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.
- Extras. Serve with avocado, cilantro and lime wedges.
- Add corn or hominy
- Use black beans, kidney beans or lentils instead of pinto
What is Ancho Chili Powder
The one spice that I add to this Mexican tortilla soup that really separates the men from the boys as far as tortilla soups go…is the ancho chili powder. The ancho chili powder gives this soup its lively authentic flavor and makes the best tortilla soup. If you use regular chili powder – it won’t taste the same. Ancho chili powder has a very distinct wonderful flavor and comes from dried and ground poblano chilies. You should be able to find it in the spice section at your local market and it’s well worth the purchase. You can liven up other Mexican recipes with it besides this Mexican tortilla soup.
More Mexican Soup Recipes
- Black Bean Soup
- Mexican Chicken Pozole
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- White Bean Chicken Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Skinny Taco Soup
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon more for desired spiciness)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes (with broth)
- 1 cup yellow squash, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped for serving
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in ancho chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cilantro and cook for just a minute then add vegetable broth and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for to 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add canned pinto beans and simmer another 3-5 minutes until zucchini is fork tender.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips and serve with lime wedges.
- Add corn or hominy
- Use black beans, kidney beans or lentils instead of pinto beans
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1094mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.