Mexican Quinoa Salad
This Mexican Quinoa Salad is a powerhouse salad packed with quinoa, cucumber, arugula, red pepper, pico de gallo, toasted nuts and lots of fresh cilantro. And it’s all tossed in a delicious light lemon vinaigrette.
QUINOA SALAD RECIPE
This Mexican Quinoa Salad is a delicious vegetarian quinoa salad that your entire family will love!
You may have noticed I have a thing for quinoa salads since I publish my fair-share of them. I love how quickly they come together. I love the fresh simple healthy ingredients. And I love how filling quinoa salads are! I’m partial to all of the quinoa salad recipes that I’ve shared, but this Mexican Quinoa Salad is the latest one that I’ve been crushing on!
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA
- Measure out the amount of quinoa you’ll be making.
- Use twice the amount of liquid (water or broth) – if you use 1 cup quinoa you’ll use 2 cups liquid
- Measure out the quinoa and place in a fine mesh strainer
- Rinse under cool water for about 2 minutes
- Drain excess water and transfer to the cooking pot
- Add the liquid (water or broth) 2 cups per every 1 cup of dry quinoa
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cover pot with a lid
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes
- When the liquid has absorbed turn stove off and remove pot from heat
- Allow the cooked quinoa to rest for about 5 minutes
- Remove lid and gently fluff quinoa with a fork
- Season cooked quinoa as desired
QUINOA SALAD RECIPE (What you’ll need)
- Cooked quinoa
- Fresh cilantro
- Toasted almonds or peptias
- Pico de gallo
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
This is a great make-ahead quinoa salad recipe to pull together. You can prep the quinoa, pico and dressing the day before (storing them in the fridge). Then when you’re ready to eat – just toss it all together and enjoy! Sometimes I’ll add avocado to this Mexican Quinoa Salad especially if I’m enjoying this salad as a meal on its own.
This recipe for quinoa salad is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free. I hope it becomes one of your go-to quinoa salad recipes to make for your family It makes a great side dish to serve with grilled chicken or salmon.
MORE QUINOA SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup arugula
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds or peptias
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, deseeded and deveined, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To assemble the Salad
- Add the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Toss lightly with the Simple Lemon Dressing just before serving.
- Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes, avocado and additional cilantro.
Pico de Gallo
- Add all ingredients to a medium size bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Simple Lemon Dressing
- Add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid and shake well until the ingredients are well blended.