Crunchy Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
This Crunchy Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad features fresh parsley, mint, green onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a bit of apple for sweetness and added crunch. The typical bulgar is replaced with fluffy protein-packed quinoa and it’s all tossed in a deliciously sweet lemon vinaigrette.
This tabbouleh salad with quinoa is great as a vegan main but it’s also perfect as a side dish to serve with grilled chicken or salmon. Typical Mediterranean tabbouleh salad ingredients are rich with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. I add chopped apple to this salad to give it a kiss of sweetness and added crunch. For the dressing I add a little honey and lemon to the olive oil to add a touch of sweetness to tone down the bitter taste of parsley. This is a great detox salad recipe! Parsley detoxifies the kidneys and the lemon in the dressing draws toxins away from the liver. You can read more here about the Benefits of parsley
TABBOULEH SALAD RECIPE
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh mint
- Cherry, baby heirloom, or teardrop tomatoes
- Green onions
- Persian cucumber
- Granny Smith apple
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Clover honey
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package
- Cool quinoa and fluff
- In a large bowl, combine the parsley, mint, tomatoes, scallions, cucumber and apple
- In a separate small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well
- Add the cooled quinoa to the parsley mixture and toss
- Add the dressing and toss well to coat
- Refrigerate before serving
- Toss in kalamata olives
- Sprinkle in some Feta cheese
- Add fresh dill
- Use cauliflower rice instead of quinoa
- Go with bulgar wheat instead of quinoa
MORE HEALTHY SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (equal to about 1/2 cup dried quinoa)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (about 1 bunch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup cherry, baby heirloom, or teardrop tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 scallions, sliced - white and light green parts only
- 3/4 cup Persian cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons clover honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according the package.
- After the quinoa has finished cooking and you've turned the heat off, add the minced garlic and put the lid back on the pot.
- After the quinoa has cooled, you'll add it to the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the parsley, mint, tomatoes, scallions, cucumber and apple.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the parsley mixture and toss.
- Add the olive oil-lemon mixture to the tabbouleh salad and toss to coat well. Refrigerate for an hour and serve chilled.