Jalapeno Hummus is one of my favorite dips for snacking. It’s got an incredible combo of flavors with green chiles, cilantro, cumin and garlic!
This spicy hummus is a classic hummus recipe with green chilies added to the mix giving this healthy hummus a ton of flavor. It’s a perfect dip for healthy snacking!
SPICY HUMMUS RECIPE
If you’re like me, you’ll likely have most of the hummus ingredients on hand, except maybe for the fresh cilantro.
- Canned chickpeas (same as canned garbanzo beans)
- Mild Ortega chilies (canned)
- Lime juice
- Cumin powder
- Extra-virgin olive oil
HOW DO YOU MAKE HUMMUS
This simple hummus recipe comes together in about 20 minutes minutes. Peeled chickpeas will give you a creamier textured hummus, but peeling the chickpeas can add about 7-10 minutes of prep time. I try to remove some of the skin by simply placing the chickpeas in a colander and tossing them with my hand while water runs over them.
- Add the garbanzo beans, chilies, tahini, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and cumin powder to a food processor.
- While the machine is running, slowly pour in the olive oil until creamy.
- Add a teaspoon or two of liquid (liquid from canned chickpeas or water) if you want a creamier texture.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HUMMUS
- Pita bread
- Tortilla chips
- Vegetable sticks (carrot, celery, jicama, cucumber)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Quick and Easy Guacamole
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip
- Skinny Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
- Spinach Hummus
- Avocado Hummus
Follow THE HARVEST KITCHEN on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Originally published 7.2014 – updated 1.2020
- 1 (15 ounce can of garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mild Ortega chilies (about 1/2 of a 4 ounce can) - add the whole can if you like a little more spice
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 - 3 limes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2-3 tablespoons water or more added as needed for desired consistency
- Add the garbanzo beans and tahini to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add chilies, garlic, cilantro and cumin powder to the garbanzo bean mix and blend until well incorporated.
- While the machine is running, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until hummus is creamy
- Add a teaspoon or two of liquid (liquid from canned chickpeas or water) and blend a minute or two longer if you want a creamier texture.