Healthy Coleslaw Recipe
Healthy Coleslaw Recipe (cabbage slaw) is an easy coleslaw recipe made with green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, green onion and cilantro all tossed in an addictive honey lime vinaigrette. This is a Mexican coleslaw that can be stuffed inside tacos, BBQ chicken sandwiches, layered in taco bowls, and served with grilled chicken and fish.
If you like cabbage slaw, and all the nutritional perks it has to offer, you’ll love recipe! It’s a refreshing and light Mexican coleslaw made without any mayonnaise.
I am completely addicted to this Healthy Coleslaw!! It’s so easy to make, has a great combo of flavors and it make a delicious healthy side dish. If I have a big bowl of it chillin in my refrigerator, I like to snack on it throughout the day. This coleslaw makes great side with a BBQ chicken sandwich, stuffed inside tacos and it’s perfect for summer barbecues and potlucks!!
What is Coleslaw
Coleslaw means “cabbage salad”. Coleslaw is a salad or side dish made up of finely shredded cabbage tossed in either a mayo-based dressing or vinaigrette.
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
This easy coleslaw recipe calls for just 5 simple ingredients.
- Green cabbage
- Purple cabbage (also referred to as red cabbage)
- Green onion
This Mexican coleslaw is perfect just the way it is, but here’s a few ideas if you want to switch things up a bit.
- Add slices of purple onion instead of green onion
- Add slices of red bell pepper
- Add finely minced jalapeno to the dressing if you want to add a little spice
How to Make Coleslaw
Making coleslaw is super easy. If you don’t have the time to chop and shred the cabbage and carrots, then feel free to buy 2 12-ounce packages of coleslaw mix at the store.
- Make Dressing: Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar and chill before use.
- Prep Vegetables: Shred and chop ingredients and place in large bowl
- Toss Vegetables with Dressing: Drizzle dressing over ingredients and toss to combine.
This is a healthy coleslaw without mayo recipe, so the ingredients for this dressing are fresh and simple.
- Lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to Make Coleslaw Dressing
This easy coleslaw dressing recipe comes together in about 5 minutes start-to-finish.
- Measure ingredients: Measure out the 3 simple ingredients.
- Mix ingredients: Add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid and vigorously shake. You can also add the ingredients to a bowl and blend using a wire whisk or fork.
- Season: Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How to Cut Cabbage for Slaw
- Remove thick outer leaves of the cabbage head.
- Turn the cabbage head so the stem is facing up. Slice the cabbage head in half through the stem.
- Slice each piece in half so the cabbage head is now cut in quarters. Lay each piece on its flat side and either slice with a knife or use a mandolin. If you want your cabbage very thinly sliced or shredded, you might want to use a mandolin.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family along with kale, broccoli and cauliflower.
- Rich source of antioxidants and Vitamin C
- Aids with digestion
- Good source of vitamin K
- May help lower LDL cholesterol levels (bad kind of cholesterol)
Looking for more easy salad recipes to make?
- Mango Slaw
- House Salad
- Kale Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Broccoli Detox Salad
- Crunchy Detox Salad
- Everyday Detox Salad
Want more ideas? Check out all my healthy salad recipes.
- 1-1/2 cup green cabbage, cut in quarters and shredded
- 1-1/2 cup purple cabbage, cut in quarters and shredded
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and grated on box grater
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- or buy 2 12-ounce packages of coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl combine the shredded cabbage, carrot, chopped green onion and cilantro and toss to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over ingredients and toss again.
- Add lime juice, olive oil and honey to mason jar. Seal lid and vigorously shake to blend well.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate before use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.