Healthy Coleslaw Recipe
This Healthy Coleslaw Recipe is made with green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, green onion and cilantro all tossed in an addictive honey lime vinaigrette.
If you like cabbage slaw, and all the nutritional perks it has to offer, you’ll love recipe! It’s a refreshing and light coleslaw made without any mayonnaise that makes a perfect side with grilled chicken and fish, or your favorite Mexican dish. It’s also great stuffed inside tacos!
I am completely addicted to this homemade coleslaw!! It’s so easy to make, has a great combo of flavors and it make a delicious healthy side dish. If I have a big bowl of it chillin in my refrigerator, I like to snack on it throughout the day. This coleslaw makes great side with a sandwich, and it’s perfect for summer barbecues and potlucks!!
This easy coleslaw recipe has 5 simple ingredients.
- Green cabbage
- Purple cabbage (also referred to as red cabbage)
- Green onion
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW
Making coleslaw is super easy. If you don’t have the time to chop and shred the cabbage and carrots, then feel free to buy 2 12-ounce packages of coleslaw mix at the store.
- Make Dressing: Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar and chill before use.
- Prep Vegetables: Shred and chop ingredients and place in large bowl
- Toss Vegetables with Dressing: Drizzle dressing over ingredients and toss to combine.
- Add slices of purple onion instead of green onion
- Add slices of red bell pepper
- Add finely minced jalapeno to the dressing if you want to add a little spice
This is a healthy coleslaw without mayo recipe, so the ingredients for this dressing are fresh and simple.
- Lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW DRESSING
This easy coleslaw dressing recipe comes together in about 5 minutes start-to-finish.
- Measure ingredients: Measure out the 3 simple ingredients.
- Mix ingredients: Add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal the lid and vigorously shake. You can also add the ingredients to a bowl and blend using a wire whisk or fork.
- Season: Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
WHAT IS COLESLAW
Coleslaw means “cabbage salad”. Coleslaw is a salad or side dish made up of finely shredded cabbage tossed in either a mayo-based dressing or vinaigrette.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CABBAGE
Cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family along with kale, broccoli and cauliflower.
- Rich source of antioxidants and Vitamin C
- Aids with digestion
- Good source of vitamin K
- May help lower LDL cholesterol levels (bad kind of cholesterol)
MORE EASY SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Mango Slaw
- House Salad
- Kale Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Broccoli Detox Salad
- Crunchy Detox Salad
- Everyday Detox Salad
- 1-1/2 cup green cabbage, cut in quarters and shredded
- 1-1/2 cup purple cabbage, cut in quarters and shredded
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and grated on box grater
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- or buy 2 12-ounce packages of coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl combine the shredded cabbage, carrot, chopped green onion and cilantro and toss to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over ingredients and toss again.
- Add lime juice, olive oil and honey to mason jar. Seal lid and vigorously shake to blend well.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate before use.