French Chicken Stew
Poulet Mijote a la Moutarde is a classic French Chicken Stew. This is a quick and easy one-pot chicken recipe that you to can pull it together any night of the week.
This healthy chicken stew is quick and easy to make and requires little hand-holding. Just place all of the ingredients in a Le Creuset (or your favorite Dutch oven), check back in about 45 minutes, and you’ll have a hot, delicious soul-satisfying meal waiting for you.
This French stew gets its flavors from a splash of wine and a sprinkling of Herbes de Provence. Herbes de Provence is an aromatic mix of dried herbs such as thyme, lavender, rosemary, and sage. You can find it in the spice section of the grocery store. I also add some fresh sprigs of thyme and parsley for the added flavor.
EASY CHICKEN STEW RECIPE
This recipe is a mix of chicken and vegetables cooked in a Dutch oven. Dinners don’t get much easier than this!
- Chicken – we use chicken thighs skin on for this recipe
- Onion, Leek and Garlic – an aromatic blend of onion, leek and garlic gives this stew an incredible flavor
- Vegetables – simple mix of carrots, celery and red potatoes
- Seasoning – Herbes de Provence gives this stew an authentic flavor
- Wine and Broth – the wine is option – we just use 1/3 cup
- Dijon Mustard – adding a swirl of Dijon mustard at the end makes this stew a crowd-pleaser
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STEW
- Brown Chicken -Brown the chicken pieces on both sides in large Dutch oven
- Pour in Wine – Add the wine and simmer for a minute or two
- Onion, Leeks & Garlic – sprinkle in the garlic and arrange the onion and leeks around the chicken
- Vegetables – arrange the vegetables around the chicken
- Sprinkle in Seasoning – sprinkle the seasoning over the ingredients
- Broth – pour in the chicken broth
- Simmer – simmer over medium-low heat
- Enjoy – serve in shallow bowls with a spoonful of Dijon mustard stirred into the broth
Typically Dijon mustard is added directly into the pot and blended into the rich broth, coating the chicken, but I prefer to serve this classic chicken stew with the mustard on the side, as you would with Pot Au Feu, so people can add as much or as little as they like. It’s so incredibly good!!! This is one of my all-time favorite Dutch oven dinner recipes! Serve this classic French stew with plenty of warm crusty bread to soak up the delicious mustard broth.
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- One Pan Italian Chicken
- Chicken Continental
- Hearty Lentil Stew
- Enchilada Style Baked Chicken
- Caldo de Pollo
- Garlicky Chicken Chow Mein with Kale
- 5-6 free-range chicken thighs (skin left on)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large leek, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 4 - 6 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1/3 cup white wine or sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
- Arrange the chicken in the pot, skin side down in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the wine and let simmer for a minute.
- Turn the chicken to the other side and cook for another minute.
- Add the garlic
- Arrange the onion, leeks, carrots, celery, and potatoes around the chicken.
- Sprinkle Herbes de Provence over the stew and add salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the chicken broth
- Place the lid on the dutch oven and cook over medium-low heat for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the bottom doesn't get burned.
- Serve on plates with a spoonful of Dijon Mustard to stir into the broth.