Caesar Salad Dressing
This Caesar Salad Dressing recipe is light and lemony and you’ll love that this is a homemade Caesar Dressing without anchovies and tastes just as good as traditional Caesar salad dressing.
This Homemade Caesar dressing rivals any restaurant or store-bought Caesar dressing out there. It’s deliciously creamy and light and super easy to make! It’s my go-to dressing when I make this Broccoli Kale Caesar Salad.
What’s in Caesar Dressing
Traditional Caesar salad dressing is a mix of garlic, tangy Dijon, Parmesan cheese, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, raw egg yolks and anchovies. The popular Caesar salad (made with Romaine lettuce tossed with Caesar salad dressing) was the creation of Caeesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who owned restaurants in America and Mexico.
This Caesar salad dressing recipe veers a bit, substituting raw egg yolks for mayonnaise and omitting the anchovies altogether. If you’re like me, you’ll have these simple Caesar dressing ingredients on hand so you can make it on a whim any time you like.
Caesar Dressing Recipe
When you mix the mustard and mayonnaise with the olive oil, the ingredients will will emulsify giving this homemade Caesar dressing a slightly creamy texture. Here’s the short list of Caesar dressing ingredients that you’ll need to make this delish dressing with:
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Mayonnaise (I prefer Best Foods)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Caesar Dressing
The easiest way to make this Caesar salad dressing without anchovies is to add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. This is my preferred method for making this dressing because it turns out creamier. But if you don’t want to pull out your blender, then here’s the method for hand-whisking this dressing. Either way, this dressing comes together in about 5 minutes start-to-finish.
- Slice garlic: Thinly slice the garlic and mash the slices with a fork or the side of a knife to form a paste.
- Whisk lemon juice, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and garlic: Add the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and garlic to a bowl and whisk to blend well.
- Add olive oil: Gradually drizzle the olive oil in with the lemon juice, Dijon mustard and mayonnaise mixture until emulsified.
- Stir in parmesan cheese: Stir in the parmesan cheese and blend well.
- Season: Add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
Caesar Dressing Anchovies
If you prefer to add anchovies to your Caesar dressing, you’ll need 1-2 oil packed anchovy fillets to add to this recipe. Mash the anchovy fillets with the garlic clove using the side of a knife to form a paste, then transfer to a bowl and whisk together with the lemon juice, Dijon mustard and mayonnaise. Then continue to add the olive oil, parmesan cheese and seasoning per the recipe.
Looking for more homemade salad dressing recipes to make?
- Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
- Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
- Immune Boosting Avocado Oil Salad Dressing
- Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
Want more ideas? Check out all my healthy homemade salad dressing recipes.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Whisk lemon juice, Dijon mustard and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually drizzle in olive oil and whisk until emulsified.
- Whisk in parmesan cheese.
- Add black pepper to taste.
Note: You can also add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. This is my preferred way to make this dressing.
If you prefer to add anchovies to your Caesar dressing, you'll need 1-2 oil packed anchovy fillets to add to this recipe.
Mash the anchovy fillets with the garlic clove using the side of a knife to form a paste, then transfer to a bowl and whisk together with the lemon juice, Dijon mustard and mayonnaise.
Then continue to add the olive oil, parmesan cheese and seasoning per the recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.