Loaded Low Fat Egg SaladYum
This Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad is creamy and crunchy and loaded with veggies.
This classic egg salad is loaded with veggies for the added flavor, crunch and nutritional benefits. Keep things healthy and low-cal and serve this salad on a bed of greens, or with gluten-free crackers, or on a single slice of bread for an open-face sandwich.
There are so many renditions of egg salad out there. Simple and creamy, loaded with mayo and mustard and dill pickle relish, and then there’s the fancied up version with avocado. I love them all!! But this is the egg salad that I tend to make most often. It’s low in fat and it’s loaded with veggies for the extra crunch and nutritional perks. I either serve this skinny egg salad up on a bed of greens or I’ll eat a bowl full with some gluten-free crackers.
A good egg salad starts with …. good eggs. I prefer brown hen eggs. The free-range happy kind. I think they have a more mellow and appetizing flavor. Once you get in the habit of eating free-range brown hen eggs, regular factory caged white eggs are almost impossible to consume. There is a difference in flavor.
And the key to making a good hard-boiled egg is to place your eggs in a saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Cook over high heat until the water begins to simmer. Then turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Set the pan aside and let the eggs continue to cook in the hot water for about 10 minutes. Then you’ll pour the water out and refill the pan with cold water and let the eggs sit in the cool bath for another 5 minutes or so. I find that eggs peel easier when peeled under running cool water.
And yes…there are green onions listed in this recipe that didn’t make it for the photo shoot. The green onions add a lot of flavor to this healthy egg salad, so unless you dislike onions immensely, I recommend not omitting them from the recipe.
Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad
- 8 large hardboiled free-range brown hen eggs (5 whole eggs and 3 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons carrot, shredded and minced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard (either yellow or Dijon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill (mores for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- sea salt or pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, roughly mash the eggs with the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, dill and onion powder.
- Fold in the celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, carrots, parsley and green onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or on a slice of bread.