Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas are frozen bananas dipped in dark chocolate then rolled in chopped nuts, granola and shredded coconut.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make frozen chocolate bananas at home, well it couldn’t be easier. Making chocolate covered bananas is quick and easy and they make a healthy summer treat that your whole family will love!
Growing up in Newport, it was a ritual to get chocolate covered bananas on Balboa Island. It marked the arrival of summer! But now I just make them at home during the warm summer months! They make a great healthy snack!
CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS RECIPE
These chocolate dipped frozen bananas call for just a few ingredients. Ripe bananas, a bag of chocolate chips plus your favorite toppings.
- 6 bananas
- Dark chocolate chips
- Finely chopped almonds, peanuts and pistachios
- Shredded coconut
MORE TOPPING IDEAS
- Chopped graham crackers
- Puffed rice cereal
- Drizzled milk chocolate
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS
Making a frozen banana takes about 10 minutes start-to-finish, plus about 2 hours for freezing time.
- Prep bananas: Peel bananas and cut about 1 inch off the bottom.
- Popsicle sticks: Poke a popsicle stick in the bottom portion of the banana.
- Freeze bananas: Pop the bananas in a freezer bag and freeze for 2 hours.
- Heat chocolate: Heat chocolate in a saucepan over low heat.
- Dip frozen bananas: Dip frozen bananas in melted chocolate.
- Toppings: Roll chocolate covered bananas in toppings.
HOW TO FREEZE BANANAS
- Peel the bananas: Peel ripe organic bananas and discard the peel.
- Slice bananas: Slice about 1 inch off the bottom end of the bananas.
- Popsicle sticks: Insert a popsicle stick in the bottom end of each banana.
- Cookie sheet: Lay the bananas a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with either a Silpat or wax paper.
- Freeze bananas: Put the cookie sheet with the banana in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Transfer to freezer bag: Store chocolate covered frozen bananas in freezer bags in the freezer.
HOW LONG TO FREEZE BANANAS
It can take about 2 hours to get the bananas good and frozen before dipping them in chocolate. The chocolate covered frozen bananas will keep in freezer bags in the freezer for up to a week.
MORE FROZEN DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 3 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and cut in half (or at least cut 1/4 off one end)
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup each chopped almonds, chopped peanuts, granola, shredded coconut
- Peel bananas and cut about 1 inch off the bottom.
- Poke a popsicle stick in the bottom portion of the banana.
- Pop the bananas in a freezer bag laying them in a single layer so not to touch each other.
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- Heat chocolate in a saucepan over a double-boiler over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut oil and stir chocolate until melted and glossy.
- Remove from heat.
- Dip frozen bananas in slightly cooled melted chocolate.
- Roll chocolate covered bananas in toppings. You can also sprinkle the toppings over the melted chocolate.
- Lay chocolate covered bananas on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or wax paper. After chocolate sets, either serve or carefully place the chocolate covered bananas in freezer bags in a single layer so not to touch each other.