Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas (also called chocolate covered bananas) are frozen bananas that are dipped in dark chocolate and rolled in chopped nuts, granola and shredded coconut. They make a great healthy snack or dessert!
If you’ve ever wondered how to make frozen chocolate bananas at home, well, it couldn’t be easier. And they make a healthy summer treat that your whole family will love!
Growing up in Newport, it was a ritual to get chocolate covered bananas on Balboa Island. It marked the arrival of summer! But now I just make them at home during the warm summer months! They are so easy to make!
Chocolate Covered Bananas Recipe
These chocolate dipped frozen bananas call for just a few ingredients. Ripe bananas, a bag of chocolate chips plus your favorite toppings.
- 6 bananas
- Dark chocolate chips
- Finely chopped almonds, peanuts and pistachios
- Shredded coconut
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
Making a frozen banana takes about 10 minutes start-to-finish, plus about 2 hours for freezing time.
- Prep bananas. Peel bananas and cut about 1 inch off the bottom.
- Popsicle sticks. Poke a popsicle stick in the bottom portion of the banana.
- Freeze bananas. Lay the bananas a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with either a Silpat or wax paper and freeze for 1 hour then transfer to a freezer bag.
- Heat chocolate.Heat chocolate in a saucepan over low heat.
- Dip frozen bananas. Dip frozen bananas in melted chocolate.
- Toppings. Roll in toppings.
- Freeze. Place the bananas back on a parchment or Silpat lined cooking sheet and place in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes for the chocolate to set. Transfer chocolate covered bananas to a freezer bag and store in the freezer.
More Topping Ideas
- Chopped graham crackers
- Puffed rice cereal
- Drizzled milk chocolate
How Long to Freeze Bananas
It can take about 2 hours to get the bananas good and frozen before dipping them in chocolate. The chocolate covered frozen bananas will keep in freezer bags in the freezer for up to a week.
More Frozen Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- Strawberry Popsicles
- Pineapple Banana Popsicles
- Lime Popsicles
- Basil Berry Granita
- Lemon Semifreddo
- Mango Coconut Ice Cream
- 3 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and cut in half (or at least cut 1/4 off one end)
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup each chopped almonds, chopped peanuts, granola, shredded coconut
- Peel bananas and cut about 1 inch off the bottom.
- Poke a popsicle stick in the bottom portion of the banana.
- Pop the bananas in a freezer bag laying them in a single layer so not to touch each other.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Heat chocolate in a saucepan over a double-boiler over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut oil and stir chocolate until melted and glossy.
- Remove from heat.
- Dip frozen bananas in slightly cooled melted chocolate.
- Roll chocolate covered bananas in toppings. You can also sprinkle the toppings over the melted chocolate.
- Lay chocolate covered bananas on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or wax paper. After chocolate sets, either serve or carefully place the chocolate covered bananas in freezer bags in a single layer so not to touch each other.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 7gSugar: 35gProtein: 6g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations. See full disclaimer on About page.