With the blazing summer heat upon us, treat your family to these Mexican ice pops. These colorful and flavorful Pineapple Paletas (also referred to as pineapple popsicles) are a healthy frozen snack that your entire family will love!
If you’ve got a ripe pineapple handy…I’ve got a recipe for you! These fresh fruit popsicles are light and refreshing and they’re a perfect healthy frozen snack to treat yourself to!
These pineapple popsicles aren’t your usual run-of-the-mill sugary sweet treat. They’re all natural popsicles and made with just three ingredients – fresh pineapple, coconut water and lime juice. Mexican popsicles (also referred to as paletas) are made with lots of fresh fruit, rather than watered down and sweetened fruit juice. For these Mexican popsicles, we blend some of the fresh pineapple together with the coconut water and lime juice and then finely chop the rest of the pineapple and add it to the mix – so you’ll have little bites of fresh fruit throughout the popsicle. To make these pineapple popsicles, you’ll need a blender (or food processor), a popsicle mold (or small paper Dixie cups) and wooden popsicle sticks.
PINEAPPLE POPSICLES RECIPE
These fruit popsicles are made with just 3 ingredients.
- Ripe pineapple, peeled
- Coconut water (or plain bottled water)
- Lime juice
HOW TO MAKE FRUIT POPSICLES
These fruit popsicles come together in about 10 minutes, then another 4-6 hours of freezing time (depending on your freezer).
- Prep Pineapple: Peel and chop fresh pineapple.
- Blend: Add most of the chopped pineapple to blender and blend well, keep the rest of the chopped pineapple to add later.
- Add water and lime juice: Add water and lime juice to blender and blend well.
- Chopped Pineapple: Stir in the remainder of the chopped pineapple.
- Popsicle Molds: Divide the mixture among the molds.
- Freeze: Freeze for 30 minutes, then insert sticks and freeze until solid.
Not a fan of pineapple? Not a problem! Just swap out the pineapple for one of these other fruits..
- Melon (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew)
- Berry (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, cherry)
Follow THE HARVEST KITCHEN on Pinterest for more great recipes!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PINEAPPLE
- Pineapple is a great source of antioxidants (specifically phenolics, flavonoids, and vitamin C)
- The antioxidants found in pineapple may help fight inflammation and free radicals in the body Too much inflammation in the body can lead to disease such as coronary artery disease, cancer, alzheimer’s, diabetes, etc.
- Pineapple is rich with bromelain, which is a mix of enzymes that help aid digestion and can reduce inflammation and nasal swelling.
Originally published 5.2014 – updated 5.2020.
These colorful and flavorful Pineapple Paletas (also referred to as pineapple popsicles) are an easy dessert recipe to make that your entire family will love!
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled
- 3/4 cup coconut water (or plain bottled water)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Finely dice 1-1/2 cups of the pineapple and coarsely chop the rest.
- Add the Coarsely chopped pineapple to a blender and blend well.
- Add the water and lime juice and blend well. Turn the motor off and add the finely diced pineapple to the pineapple mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Divide the mixture among the molds,
- Don't snap on the lid yet. Place in the freezer just until the mixture turns slush - 15 to 20 minutes. Then add the lids and your sticks and freeze until solid.
Oh boy! I can just imagine how refreshing these would be on a hot summers day! Yum!