Best Granola RecipeYum
In my book…this is the best granola recipe there is. It’s my absolute favorite granola. It’s also my son’s absolute favorite. It’s delicate and crispy and chock-full of nuts. It’s the nuts that we love most about this granola. They’re lightly sweetened and roasted to perfection. This is a low sugar granola…which I like. I don’t care for most granolas out there because they’re too sweet for my taste.
Making homemade granola is one of my favorite things to make. I love the way my house smells while a batch is in the oven. I keep this granola in a large glass jar on the kitchen counter for easy access. It’s a great snack to have on hand. For breakfast – I love it with vanilla yogurt (Wallaby’s Organic) and my son loves it with milk. It also makes a great topping for berry or stone fruit crisps and crumbles in the summer. Ice cream….it goes really great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen vanilla yogurt.
I hope you also find this to be the best granola recipe there is!
Hope everyone is having a great week!!
Best Granola Recipe
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (don't use instant oats)
- 2-1/2 cups mixed nuts, coarsely chopped (I use cashews, almonds, and walnuts)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes, shredded (I like the larger flakes)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil (if you don't want to use oil - you can use 1/3 cup applesauce instead)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Use 1 tablespoon canola oil to coat a large cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut and mix well.
- In a separate medium size bowl, add the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon and canola oil and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the oats mixture and blend very well (using your fingers if necessary) so the mixture is completely moistened. Evenly spread the mixture onto the cookie sheet.
- While baking - toss and stir the granola and scrape away from the sides and bottom of the sheet every 10 minutes.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until the granola is nice and crispy.