Quinoa Black Bean Salad
This Quinoa Black Bean Salad recipe is made with quinoa, canned black beans, frozen corn, black olives, red pepper, onion, cilantro and avocado all tossed in an amazing honey lime quinoa salad dressing. Quinoa and black bean salad makes a great side dish to serve with grilled chicken or fish or serve it as a satisfying vegan main.
One of my favorite things to make are big beautiful salads cluttered with fresh organic produce, and I in particular love a good quinoa salad with avocado.
This quinoa salad is rich with fresh Mexican flavors and has a delicious mix of fresh ingredients, including plenty of avocado, all tossed in an incredible honey lime quinoa salad dressing.
Quinoa Black Bean Salad Recipe
This vegan quinoa salad is one of my favorite quinoa salad recipes and it comes together in about 30 minutes start-to-finish. It’s similar to my Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, which is also a family favorite!
- Cooked quinoa
- Red pepper
- Heirloom or regular cherry tomatoes
- Canned black beans
- Cooked frozen corn
- Black olives
- Quinoa salad dressing
Find printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Mix salad dressing ingredients. Combine ingredients in a mason jar and shake well. Refrigerate before serving.
- Cook quinoa. Add water and quinoa to saucepan and bring to a boil. Place lid on saucepan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool in pan.
- Prepare vegetables. While the quinoa cooks, chop the ingredients, and place in a large bowl with rinsed and drained black beans.
- Toss ingredients. Toss cooled quinoa, cucumber, red pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, black olives, avocado and fresh cilantro together in a large bowl.
- Add dressing. Toss the salad with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the salad ingredients. Chill before serving.
- Enjoy. Serve with extra vinaigrette if desired.
Quinoa Salad Dressing Recipe
I love this honey lime vinaigrette that we toss with this salad! I’ve made it with lime juice and with orange juice – depending on what I’ve had on hand. They both work just fine for this dressing. I’ve kept things on the mild side here, so if you like a wee bit of heat, then add another 1/2 teaspoon or so of finely minced jalapeno to the mix.
- Fresh lime juice (or orange juice)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Honey (you can use pure maple syrup instead of honey to make this vegan quinoa salad)
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh jalapeno
- Ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
How to Make Quinoa Salad Dressing
- Using a wire whisk, mix the ingredients in a small bowl or add the ingredients to a mason jar, seal lid tightly, and shake
- Chill in the refrigerator before using.
How to Cook Quinoa
- Rinse. Pour quinoa in a fine mesh colander and rinse under cold running water for about 30 seconds.
- Cook. Add it to saucepan and pour water or broth over it and stir.Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer 15-20 minutes. Don’t remove the lid.
- Remove from heat. As soon as the water is absorbed, remove from heat and set aside for 8-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Tips for Making it Perfect and Fluffy
- Rinsing it before cooking will help remove the natural coating on it called saponin which makes it taste bitter and can cause foam.. And it will also make the texture softer softer.
- Be sure to set aside for 8-10 minutes after cooking before you fluff with a fork.
Looking For More Quinoa Salad Recipes?
- Best Quinoa Salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Crunchy Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Kale Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Beet Salad
- Beet Kale Quinoa Salad
- Wild Rice Salad
Want more ideas? Check out all my quinoa recipes.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dried quinoa and 2 cups water)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup red onion, peeled and cut into quarters then thinly sliced
- 12-14 heirloom or regular cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked frozen corn
- 1/4 cup black olives, cut in half
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup quinoa salad dressing
For the Quinoa Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (or orange juice)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced jalapeño pepper
- ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Place 1 cup dried quinoa in a sieve and rinse under cold water for just a minute.
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 15 - 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let set in the pan for about 5 minutes then fluff with a fork or spoon.
- Place cooled cooked quinoa to a large bowl.
- Mix together the quinoa, black beans, corn, cucumber, red pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, black olives, avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Toss the salad with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the salad ingredients.
- Chill before serving.
- Serve with extra quinoa salad dressing if desired.
Quinoa Salad Dressing
- Add the ingredients to a mason jar and seal the lid tightly and shake to blend ingredients. Or add the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk using a wire whisk or fork.
- Chill in the refrigerator before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 11g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.