Pineapple Coconut Quinoa
Ready for an incredibly flavorful quinoa recipe to make? Serve this Pineapple Coconut Quinoa alone or as a side dish to grilled chicken or fish. This is a great flavored quinoa that has an exotic combo of flavors that is light and summery.
Quinoa is one of the most versatile ingredients to cook with. It pairs well with so many different flavors! This flavored quinoa is cooked in coconut milk and pineapple juice giving it the most incredible tropical flavor. Serve it plain (it’s delicious on its own) or toss in big chunks of juicy ripe mango, some cilantro and red onion to make it extra special. It’s a perfect quinoa side dish to serve with grilled chicken and fish.
Quinoa has a nutty flavor that tends to be a little bland and earthy tasting. For those of you who are not in love with quinoa for this very reason, I hope you try this flavorful quinoa. It just might change your mind about things. My favorite way to serve this coconut quinoa is tossed with a simple mango salsa. If you’re making this quinoa side dish to go with grilled chicken or fish, you can serve it plain, but I highly recommend serving this flavorful quinoa tossed with mango salsa.
Pineapple Coconut Quinoa Recipe
- Canned coconut milk
- Unsweetened pineapple juice
- White quinoa
- Pure vanilla extract
- Lime juice
- Mango salsa (optional)
How to Make Coconut Quinoa
When making quinoa, the key is to simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, then when most of the liquid has absorbed, but the top of the quinoa may still look a little moist, turn the heat off. Leave the lid on and set aside for a good 7-10 minutes before fluffing so the the quinoa can fully absorb the rest of the liquids. Resist the urge to remove the lid and stir the quinoa at this point. Be patient. Then when the liquids have completely been absorbed by the quinoa, you can lightly fluff with a fork. This is the most fluffy and flavorful quinoa that your whole family will love!
- Make mango salsa. Toss together the ingredients for mango salsa.
- Heat liquids: Heat the pineapple juice and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add quinoa: Stir in quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in vanilla and lime juice.
- Cook quinoa: Place lid on pan and simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has absorbed, but still a little moist on top.
- Remove from heat: Remove from heat and set aside for about 10-15 minutes to allow the quinoa to absorb the rest of the liquids.
- Fluff quinoa: Lightly fluff with a fork.
- Add mango salsa: Toss with mango salsa (optional)
Mango Salsa Recipe
This mango salsa recipe is a quick and easy one to make. Just mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate before serving.
- Chopped fresh mango
- Fresh cilantro
- Red onioN
- Lime juice
Looking for More Quinoa Side Dish Recipes to Make?
- Salsa Verde Quinoa
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- Lemony Quinoa with Turmeric
- Spanish Quinoa
- Caramelized Onion Quinoa
- Mexican Quinoa Pilaf
Still want more ideas? Check out all my healthy side dish recipes.
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- juice of 1/2 lime
- mango salsa (optional)
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- Heat the pineapple juice and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the vanilla and lime juice.
- Place lid on pan and simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has absorbed, but still a little moist on top.
- Remove from heat and set aside for about 10-15 minutes to allow the quinoa to absorb the rest of the liquids.
- Lightly fluff with a fork.
- Serve with lime wedges.
For the Mango Salsa
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Refrigerate before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
theharvestkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate information, however, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.