Summer Fruit Crisp
This Summer Fruit Crisp is an easy to make mixed berry crisp recipe with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and a crispy oat topping. It’s a healthy and delicious summer dessert that your whole family will love!
Mixed berry crisp is a perfect summer dessert to serve a hungry crowd. The oat crumble on top bakes up crispy and golden and hiding beneath is a luscious bubbly syrupy berry mixture.
This Summer Fruit Crisp is one of my favorite summer desserts to make. I love fruit desserts (over chocolate ones – I know crazy) and I love warm berries! I love the crispy almond oat topping that makes this berry crisp complete! I serve it with either vanilla ice cream, frozen vanilla yogurt or just regular low-fat vanilla yogurt.
What Is A Fruit Crisp?
A fruit crisp is a simple baked dessert made with fruit and a crumble topping of flour, oatmeal, nuts, butter and sugar.
Fruit Crisp Recipe
This is an easy mixed berry crisp recipe that requires just 6 simple ingredients.
- Berries: We use a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries for this recipe.
- Maple Syrup: This mixed berry crisp is sweetened with pure maple syrup rather than granulated sugar.
- Flour: We use brown rice flour as a thickening agent to make the berries syrupy when they bake.
- Lemon zest: Meyer lemons are the best to use for desserts, but regular lemon zest works just as well.
- Fruit crisp topping: We use a mixture of almond flour (instead of white flour), oatmeal, pure maple syrup (instead of sugar), coconut oil (instead of butter) and sliced almonds to make a delicious crispy topping for this mixed berry crips.
This is one of those versatile easy fruit desserts, so feel free to switch things up and use peaches, plums or apples instead of mixed berries if you like.
How to Make Berry Crisp
This triple berry crisp recipe comes together in about 20 minutes start-to-finish. It can be baked in a pie dish or go for a more rustic look and bake it in a medium size iron skillet. When it comes out of the oven, add a few scoops of vanilla ice cream to the top (or frozen vanilla yogurt) and serve with dessert bowls and spoons.
- Make topping: In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, almond flour, 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, coconut oil and the almonds.
- Prepare fruit: Combine the berries in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, the brown rice flour and the lemon zest. Gently stir to blend so the berries are evenly coated.
- Baking dish: Place berry mixture in a 9 inch pie dish. Sprinkle any remaining flour mixture over the top of the berries and gently toss.
- Add topping: Sprinkle almond oat topping evenly over the berries.
- Bake fruit crisp: Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is browned and the berries are bubbling.
This healthy berry crisp looks somewhat neat and composed at first glance, but really – it’s kind of a hot mess beneath the surface. The berries soften and release their juices to make a really vibrant syrup. Trust me. No one will complain!
More Summer Dessert Recipes
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Healthy Berry Oatmeal Crumb Bars
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Peach Melba Frozen Yogurt Bites
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1 cup organic blackberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (Meyer lemon is best)
Fruit Crisp Topping
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the berries in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, the brown rice flour and the lemon zest.
- Gently stir to blend so the berries are evenly coated.
- Place the berries in a 9 inch pie dish. Sprinkle any remaining flour mixture over the top of the berries and gently
- Gently blend in with the berries using a spoon.
Fruit Crisp Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, almond flour, 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, coconut oil and the almonds.
- Blend the ingredients using your fingertips (or a fork) so all is coated well with the coconut oil.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the berries.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is browned and the berries are bubbling.
This is one of those versatile easy fruit desserts, so feel free to switch things up and use peaches, plums, apples, or strawberries instead of mixed berries if you like.