Roasted Garlic Potato Salad
This Roasted Garlic Potato Salad is made with red potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, green onions, black olives and sun-dried tomatoes, all tossed in an amazing creamy roasted garlic dressing.
The flavors in this Roasted Garlic Potato Salad are a little more sophisticated than the classic potato salad. This red potato salad makes a great side dish for grill chicken or salmon and it’s always a hit a potlucks and barbecues.
You can count me “in” for just about anything with roasted garlic in it. For this recipe, roasted garlic is blended with the salad dressing ingredients, making it a delicious and richly flavored dressing. As for adding black olives to this potato salad isn’t an original one. We used to order a potato salad with sandwiches from an Italian deli for lunch meetings at work. Their potato salad was made with black olives and I was completely obsessed!
POTATO SALAD INGREDIENTS
This red potato salad recipe has a delicious combination of ingredients!
- Red potatoes
- Dijon Mustard
- Blak Olives
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Flat-leaf Parsley
HOW TO COOK POTATOES FOR POTATO SALAD
- Choosing potatoes: Start by using red potatoes or a white or Yukon potato (which are less starchy and hold their shape better during boiling – if you want the potatoes to be more mashed – then use Russet potatoes)
- Prepare potatoes: Cut the potatoes so the pieces are relatively the same size
- Cook potatoes: Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Place the pot of potatoes in water on the stove and bring the water to a boil
HOW LONG TO COOK POTATOES FOR POTATO SALAD
- Simmer on medium low for approximately 8 – 12 minutes or until fork tender (depending on the size of the potatoes)
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SALAD WITH MAYONNAISE
- Cool potatoes: The potatoes should cool to room temperature for about 30-40 minutes before adding the mayonnaise based dressing, otherwise the mayo will turn oily when it comes in contact with the hot potatoes
- If you’re using a vinaigrette dressing then you would want to dress the potatoes while they’re still warm)
MORE POTATO SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Originally published 7.2018 – updated 6.2020
- 2 large heads garlic, roasted
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat or olive oil mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 pounds medium red potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup black olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the Roasted Garlic Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice off the top of each head of garlic to expose the cloves.
- Place the heads on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to seal the heads with.
- Drizzle the garlic over the tops of each garlic head and rub the sides with the oil.
- Sprinkle a little kosher salt on top of each head
- Pinch edges of foil together to make a package.
- Roast garlic for about 45 minutes or until the cloves are very soft and almost buttery.
- Unwrap garlic and let cool slightly before blending.
- Squeeze the pulp into a food processor or blender. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon mustard, and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
For the Potato Salad
- While the garlic is roasting, place the cut potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to medium and place a lid on the pan. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the chopped potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, black olives, sun-dried tomatoes and green onions. Toss to mix.
- Add the dressing to the potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.