Mexican Potato Salad
If you love potato salad, you’ll love this Mexican Potato Salad! It’s a potato salad no mayo recipe that’s loaded with potatoes and fresh vegetables all tossed in a perky cilantro lime vinaigrette. This vegan potato salad is a fun twist to the traditional potato salad.
This colorful Mexican Potato Salad is loaded with fresh crunchy corn, tender juicy ripe tomatoes, buttery avocado and onions, then the whole ensemble is perfectly dressed in a delicious cilantro lime vinaigrette.
Best Potatoes for Potato Salad
There are two main kinds of potatoes – baking and boiling. Baking potatoes such as russets have a higher starch content than boiling potatoes and they’re a little fluffier in texture and fall apart when they’re cooked. Russets make the best baked and mashed potatoes. Boiling potatoes tend to hold their shape a little better when cooked.
A lot of potato salad recipes use russets for a creamier texture, like this Dill Pickle Potato Salad. But for this potato salad recipe, we’re going with white boiling potatoes so the potatoes will hold their texture better. You could also use red potatoes for this salad. This potato salad recipe doesn’t call for any mayo so we’re not going for creamy here – we’re going for chunky and tender and loaded with fresh vegetables.
No Mayo Potato Salad Recipe
This healthy potato salad recipe is versatile and super easy to pull together! Toss in a little minced jalapeño to the mix if you want to add a little spice.
- Potatoes (medium red or white potatoes)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh white corn (you can use frozen)
- Plum tomatoes, finely diced
- Red and green onions
- Cilantro lime vinaigrette
How to Make this Potato Salad without Mayo
- Roast potatoes: Roast potatoes on a cookie sheet in oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Add vegetables: Add cooled potatoes to bowl with corn, green onions, tomatoes and avocado.
- Toss with vinaigrette: Drizzle salad ingredients with vinaigrette and gently fold to lightly coat ingredients.
- Season: Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Chill: Place salad in the refrigerator to chill before serving.
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Lime juice
- Orange juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
This vegan potato salad makes a delicious side dish to serve with just about anything! It’s perfect for potlucks, picnics and backyard barbecues!
More Potato Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- 3 pounds potatoes (6 cups)
- 1/4 cup purple onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh white corn (you can use frozen, but thawed)
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled and finely minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425
- Wash potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes
- Add cut potatoes to a large bowl and toss in olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes until they turn golden and are fork tender
- Set potatoes aside to cool completely
- Add completely cooled potatoes to a large bowl
- Add corn, purple onion, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado
- Add the vinaigrette and carefully fold into the ingredients
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Chill one hour or until ready to serve
For the Vinaigrette
- Add all of the ingredients to a mason jar and seal the lid tightly.
- Shake until well blended.