Barbecue Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
These Tex Mex quesadillas are quick and easy to make any night of the week. Serve them for game day and watch them disappear!
I love making these delicious quesadillas after a long day at work because they’re so quick and easy to make. I’ll pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store on my way home, open a can of black beans and some barbecue sauce and slather it all in between two flour tortillas.
I’ll share something you may not know about me. I am not fond of photographing quesadillas!! Not at all!! I made these quesadillas two days in a row. The first day….I wan’t happy with the photos I had taken. I was desperately trying to capture the beauty of the melted cheese draped over the chicken and beans, but as hard as I wrestled with it…just couldn’t make that happen. So then I tried again on the day two, but those photos didn’t turn out any better. So here we are ….these photos are from day one. Please take my word for it on this, these Barbecue Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas are really awesome! They have a great combo of simple flavors!
This is an easy chicken quesadilla recipe that you’ll want to make time and time again!
- 4 10-inch diameter spelt tortillas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup refried black beans (I use Amy's - found at health food stores)
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken (roasted or boiled)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1-1/2 cups white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the barbecue sauce until it starts to bubble. Add the chicken and stir to coat evenly. Cook until the chicken and sauce are heated through.
- Divide the black beans, chicken, and cheese among the tortillas - placing the ingredients over half of each tortillas. Fold the tortillas in half.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Cook each quesadilla for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the tortillas are lightly golden and slightly crispy.
- Transfer the quesadillas on a baking sheet and keep warmed in the oven while you cook the remaining quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges.
- Serve with salsa and freshly chopped cilantro.