Quinoa Pilaf with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Quinoa with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes, together with peas, scallions, flat-leaf parsley and cashews makes a delicious quinoa side dish to serve with grilled chicken or fish. You can even enjoy it as a vegan main.
This quinoa pilaf has a nice light fresh lemony flavor that pairs well with the earthiness of asparagus. The sun-dried tomatoes add a lot of flavor and we toss in a fistful of toasted cashews to make this dish complete.
I love making this quinoa with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes to eat as a vegan main. It’s delicious and filling and loaded with nutritional benefits. Quinoa is one of the most protein rich foods we can eat and it’s a great source of iron and fiber. It’s is also rich with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
QUINOA PILAF RECIPE
The list of ingredients for this quinoa pilaf may look a tad daunting, but don’t be fooled…this ensemble comes together in a pinch. You toss everything in one big pot and voila, you’ll have a deliciously healthy quinoa side dish that will please your whole family!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Organic lemon juice and zest
- Fresh asparagus
- Frozen peas
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA PILAF
I love a good healthy mix of quinoa with vegetables like this, and you’ll love that it comes together in just about 30 minutes start-to finish.
- Saute onion and garlic: Heat the oil in a medium size sauce pan. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add liquids: Pour in vegetable broth, lemon juice and lemon zest to the sauce pan.
- Quinoa: Add the quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat and simmer with lid on pan.
- Add asparagus and peas: Set the asparagus and peas on top of the quinoa to cook for the remaining 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat: Turn off the heat and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Fluff and toss: Lightly fluff the quinoa and toss in the asparagus and peas.
- Add remaining ingredients: Lightly toss in the scallions, cashews and parsley.
Instead of steaming the asparagus in the pot with the quinoa, the asparagus can be roasted in the oven while the quinoa cooks then tossed in while fluffing the quinoa.
EASY QUINOA RECIPES
- Spanish Quinoa
- Lemony Quinoa with Turmeric
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- Pineapple Coconut Quinoa
- Vegetarian Caramelized Onion Quinoa
Originally published 9.2015 – updated 7.2020
Quinoa with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This Quinoa with Asparagus and Sun Dried Tomatoes Side Dish is a delicious quinoa pilaf to serve with grilled chicken or fish or serve it as a vegan main.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon zest
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium size sauce pan.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and stir in to onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add the quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Place lid on pan and reduce the heat and simmer for about 16 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the asparagus and peas to the top of the quinoa. Place lid on pan and continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes letting the asparagus and peas steam cook.
- Turn off the heat and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly fluff the quinoa and toss in the asparagus and peas.
- Lightly toss in the scallions, cashews and parsley.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.