Italian Sloppy Joes
These Italian Sloppy Joes feature a mix of ground turkey, chickpeas, tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash all simmered in a classic marinara sauce for a delicious twist on things.
These ground turkey sloppy joes make an easy family-friendly meal that’ll be ready in about 30 minutes.
Basically these Italian Sloppy Joes start of with this Classic Marinara Sauce Then the ground turkey, chickpeas, zucchini and yellow squash are added to the marinara sauce and simmered for just a bit. Then it’s piled high and messy on a toasted bun and served with or without cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, or fontina).
You’ll want to serve these Healthy Sloppy Joes with either a fork or plenty of napkins!
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup zucchini, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the ground turkey. Brown meat, breaking any large lumps, until it is no longer pink.
- Transfer the ground turkey to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until the onions start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the Italian tomatoes, chicken broth, parsley and oregano and basil to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the coconut sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, chickpeas, zucchini and yellow squash to the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on toasted buns.
- Garnish with basil ribbons