Green Chicken Enchiladas
If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe to pull together, then you’re going to love these Green Chicken Enchiladas smothered in a creamy avocado sauce!
GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE
These Green Chicken Enchiladas come together in just 20 minutes. Rather than using the typical red sauce, these enchiladas are made with salsa verde and smothered in an amazing avocado sauce. They’re light, healthy and delicious!
I like a good Chicken Enchilada loaded with cheese and dripping in red sauce just like the next person, but sometimes I want something a little less weighty and a lot more healthy. That’s where these easy chicken enchiladas with green sauce come in!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS [What you’ll need]
- Salsa verde which is just a tomatillo salsa made from tomatillos, garlic and peppers. You can either pick up a jar at the market (I use Hatch brand) or make my Easy Homemade Salsa Verde
- Shredded cooked chicken. Store-bought rotisserie chicken is fine (it’s quick and easy)
- Red onion and fresh cilantro
- Avocado, buttermilk, garlic, jalapeno and green onion for the avocado sauce
- Tortillas (corn or flour)
- Garnish with chopped lettuce, pico de gallo, black olives or a dollop of sour cream
- Use ground chicken, turkey or Chicken Picadillo
- Use shredded turkey instead of shredded chicken
- Use this Mexican Style Shredded Chicken
- Stuff with chicken fajita mix
- Use grilled white fish or salmon
- Make them vegetarian and stuff with refried beans, Pinto Beans , black beans, lentils, and/or grilled vegetables
- Add sour cream or cheese (Jack or cheddar)
MEXICAN SIDE DISH RECIPES
- Pinto Beans
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- Spanish Quinoa
- Homemade Spanish Rice
- Vegetarian Borracho Beans
- Chili Relleno
MEXICAN DINNER RECIPES
- Mexican Avocado Chicken Burgers
- Chicken Picadillo Bowls
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Chicken with Black Bean Sauce
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Cauliflower Rice
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded meat (bones and skin discarded)
- 1 cup tomatillo sauce (store bought is fine)
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 8 small taco size corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the salsa in a medium sauce pan.
Add the shredded chicken and red onion slices to the salsa and heat through for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Add the avocado, buttermilk, cilantro, garlic, green onion and lime juice to a blender and blend until creamy. Add a teaspoon or two of water if the mixture is too thick.
Warm the corn tortillas in a pan over medium high heat until they're heated through and soft.
Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture into each tortilla and top with some cilantro leaves. Roll the tortillas and place on a serving plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken mixture and corn tortillas.
Pour 1/4-1/3 cup of avocado mixture over each enchilada and garnish with chopped Romaine lettuce and pico de gallo.