Wild Rice SaladYum
This simple Wild Rice Salad is a riff on Gulfstream’s Wild Rice Salad recipe. It’s got an incredible combo of flavors, and makes a great gluten-free side dish for the holidays or any night of the week.
This Wild Rice Salad recipe comes together in about 1 hour, plus time to chill in the fridge before serving. It’s made with a mix of brown rice and wild rice, celery, onion, dried figs, and roasted pecans and cashews.
Gulfstream is a popular restaurant in Newport that’s known for its seafood. I ordered an exceptional salad there a couple of weeks ago while having lunch with friends, and I’ve been craving it ever since!! A friend at work gave this Gulfstream wild rice salad recipe to me a long time ago, and I’ve just now gotten around to making it. Let me tell you, it is so worth making!!!
The only changes I made was I used a mix of brown and wild rice (in lieu of just wild rice), I added more celery (I love the crunch of celery), I substituted honey in the vinaigrette for the sugar, used all olive oil (in lieu of a combo of canola and olive oil), and I used more lemon juice than vinegar. I have to say, I wasn’t quite sure about the dried figs (they’re not terribly pretty), thinking that I might substitute them with dried cranberries (more colorful). I’m so glad I didn’t go with that idea!! The dried figs add such flavor and texture to this salad. I found myself picking through the salad for the figs. So good!! If you can find them at your local health food store – definitely go with dried figs. This wild rice salad recipe is a keeper!! It’s festive enough to serve for your holiday feasts, but it would also make a great gluten-free side dish to serve for any night of the week.
The benefits of wild rice are numerous. According to Dr. Axe, wild rice is a rich source of fiber, folate, magnesium and it’s slightly higher in protein than many whole grains. Wild rice is also rich in antioxidants, which help to give a boost to your immune system and ward off chronic disease, such as coronary heart disease and stroke.
I hope you give this Wild Rice Salad recipe a try. It’s so delicious and so worth making!!
Be sure to Pin it for later!
Wild Rice Salad
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
Total Time: 1 hour
For the Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup wild rice/brown rice blend
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried figs
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion tops
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure clover honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain well and cool.
- Transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the figs, pecans, cashews, green onion, red onion and celery,
For the Vinaigrette
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, honey and olive oil to a mason jar.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well blended,
- Pour the vinaigrette over the rice mixture and toss well.
- Season salad with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.