Veggie Quinoa QuicheYum
Happy New Year to you sweet people!!! I hope each of you had a very nice New Year’s! Here we are…. are you ready to embrace 2016? Did you set any resolutions… or do you have carry-overs from last year like I do? I have two specific carry-overs/goals/resolutions. To get more exercise and to get more sleep! Which means I’ll have to be more organized…which leads me to introduce my new favorite breakfast. These individual Veggie Quinoa Quiche are a really great grab-and-go breakfast as I’m heading out the door to work!
Unlike most quiches, cheese is not the primary ingredient here. Also, there’s no added cream, so there’s no custard here either. These little muffin sized quiche are chock full of veggies and quinoa. Feel free to switch things up and add more veggies and less quinoa, or vice versa. These little quiche are quite versatile that way!
The veggies I used here are asparagus, onion, and tomato, but you could easily swap out the asparagus for broccoli, or spinach or mushrooms. These little Veggie Quinoa Quiche are really delicious! I bet you won’t be able to eat just one!
Veggie Quinoa Quiche
Yield: 12 individual quiche
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 whole free-range brown eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup asparagus, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin or use non-stick spray.
- While the quinoa is cooking, sauté the asparagus, onion and tomatoes in the olive oil over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl blend the eggs using a wire whisk.
- Add the onion powder, black pepper and cheeses.
- Fold in the vegetables.
- Using an ice cream scoop - drop spoonfuls of mixture into cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cups are golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.