Shrimp and Cheese Grits
This recipe is in no way low-cal, so if you’re on a diet – read no further, because I’m about to describe just how incredible this dish is.
If you were thinking of starting a diet… say tomorrow, then you should definitely make this Shrimp and Cheese Grits dish today! It’s worth every calorie!
I’ve never had grits before – this was a first for me, and I honestly don’t know how many spoonfuls I sampled while I was cooking the bacon and shrimp. These cheese grits are completely sinfully decadent, and I wanted to eat the entire pan of them!
And that was before the bacon, shrimp, and garlic were added.
A very nice woman that I work with shared this recipe with me. It’s most definitely a keeper! I absolutely love this dish!! It’s rich and has a wonderful combination of flavors! I know you’ll love it too!! What’s not to love about a cheesy, bacon, shrimp and garlic dish?
I mean seriously!!
And …. if you feel guilty about eating something so sinfully good – then wash it down with a tall glass of kale, apple, ginger juice.
It worked for me.
Thank you Karen for sharing this recipe with me!!
Shrimp and Cheese Grits
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups organic low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds medium shrimp (16-18 pieces per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium high heat. Add the grits to the broth and stir occasionally.
- Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes or until the grits have thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the butter and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Place the bacon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the same pan over medium-low heat and cook until pink. Stir occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, parsley, green onions, and garlic and sautee for approximately 3 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pan and stir.
- Spoon the grits onto individual plates and top with the shrimp and bacon mixture.