Red Lentil Chicken SoupYum
This last week was pretty hectic. Work was super busy. Been keeping a puppy out of mischief (she may be blind – but she has earned the nickname “trouble” – and I say that with a big smile). I need to videotape her to share with you just how stinking cute she is!! I’ve also been busy helping my parents find a place to live. They sold their house (the one that we moved into when I was six years old)…and they’re downsizing. I was sad about it at first – but I’ve been too busy to dwell on it. I’m sure when escrow closes – there will be some tears. Lots of great memories in that house!! So needless to say – I’ve not spent very much time in the kitchen lately. I made 3 recipes this week and this Red Lentil Chicken Soup recipe is the only one worth sharing. It’s super easy to make…it’s rich and hearty…and the combo of flavors reminded me somewhat of my MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN WITH GARLIC TOMATO SAUCE. Pure comfort food for me! Red lentils are more delicate than the green or brown versions… they don’t hold their shape as well – and after this soup has simmered a bit – the soup tends to be a little more stew-like….which I love!
Oh…and one other thing that has kept me busy this past week – is I’m behind the scene setting up an eBay store. I’ll be selling home accessories – tableware – food styling props – interior decorating books (I love reading through these almost as much as I love reading through cookbooks) and other miscellaneous items. I hope it will be a fun place for everyone and I think it will make a good sister-site to the food blog. Stay tuned!
I hope you enjoy this Red Lentil Chicken Soup!!
Have a great weekend!!
~ xo Deb
Red Lentil Chicken Soup
Yield: 6 - 8 servings servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Two 32-ounce containers chicken broth
- one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro and lemon for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the chicken for about 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the onions, celery and carrot and cook for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon and allspice.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Add the tomatoes and lentils.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir occasionally.